Mares bungee strap replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought Mares replacement bungee straps for their fins and after not rust many dives, the rubber pull loops have split apart around the middle. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure the best way to fix it.

Thanks.

Never experienced that, but maybe you can rebuild the loop with cave line (or something bigger in diameter) wrapped and tied around the part in which the primary bungee goes through the broken loop.

Thanks, but not sure that will work. The "handle" is part of the whole heel thing. I should contact Mares. I don't have nearly enough dives on these to warrant this.

I have them on two pairs of fins, some people I know also have them and also no problem. I have had Apollo pull tabs and SP pull tabs break but this is the first time I've heard of Mares ones breaking. I'd expect all pull tabs to break at some point but would think only after some years. I don't think you'll get much much joy from Mares but certainly worth a try. Please post back. Good luck.

You could certainly fashion cave line to work but I'd be worried the cave line would cut into the strap. I think 1/8 bungee or similar might be a better option.

Thanks. I'll see if they have anything positive. My experience with Mares is responses of the "Thanks for the input" nature.

Here's one strap and the other is almost there.

Attachments

• IMG_4348.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 75
Which fins do you have? Of the rubber/bungee type straps I much prefer the SP Nova straps which do fit some models of Mares. Let me know your model and maybe I can check.

Thanks. It's Avanti Quattro. My regular open water diving fins are SP Seawing Novas. The straps on those are fantastic.

I have Mares fins with the bungee straps and have not yet had trouble with them. Please do post what you find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom