Mares First Stage 22x or 52x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ.BAIRD

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Quick question (first time buying regs)

I purchased online Mares 22x Abyss reg set, retailer has just asked before they ship them out if I want the 52x first stage instead of the 22x first stage as they have surplus of stock.

Is it best to pair the 22x first and second stage or mixing the 52x first stage and 22x is okay and a better deal?

Thanks in advance.

I would have no issues with it. The 52x 1st stage replaced the 22x in their line up. I think it was initially paired with the Abyss 2nd stage for a year or two, but it looks like the standard Abyss 2nd is now gone and only the Navy version remains.
I am not aware of any changes to the Abyss 2nd during those last few years of life, so I think you are getting the same 2nd with either 1st.

There is no issue at all pairing the Abyss 2nd stage with the MR52x first stage. I believe the MR52 has two 1/2-inch DFC ports where the MR22 has one...the mr52 may be a little lighter as well but you will not notice that when diving...its really only a consideration when you are flying and trying to keep your baggage weight down but again with the re-design of the exterior of the MR22 a bunch of years ago I don't think the weight difference is that significant.

I have 2 older MR22 reg sets that still work great. You can't go wrong with either model.

-Z

If the question comes up, the only difference between 22 and 22x is one upgraded valve part that gets upgraded anyway during first overhaul.

I am a fan of the mr22 design. Could provide more detail of the valve part that is upgraded on the 22x?

Thanks,
-Z

I am a fan of the mr22 design. Could provide more detail of the valve part that is upgraded on the 22x?

Thanks,
-Z
The ACT poppet replaced the Tri-Material poppet in all current production and 12/16/22/52 kits, I think around 2015, with the exception of the Navy 22. Unless USN retests with the new part they can’t change it, so the old one remains. This ACT version is what allowed them to move to a bi-annual overhaul schedule instead of annual overhaul with bi-annual poppet replacement.
Also, the smaller poppet in the MR42 kits has not been changed, as that is not used in any current production items.

The ACT poppet replaced the Tri-Material poppet in all current production and 12/16/22/52 kits, I think around 2015, with the exception of the Navy 22. Unless USN retests with the new part they can’t change it, so the old one remains. This ACT version is what allowed them to move to a bi-annual overhaul schedule instead of annual overhaul with bi-annual poppet replacement.
Also, the smaller poppet in the MR42 kits has not been changed, as that is not used in any current production items.

Thanks.
I am really interested in the changes in the design of both the MR22 and the Abyss 2nd stage over the years. Would you have info on that? I know there have not been that many changes to the 2nd stage...from what I can tell the just changed the cover through the years to give a new look although they marketed each cover design as providing some other benefit. Were there any changes to the diaphragm beneath the cover or anything else inside?

For the MR22, I know they switched from a non-replacable spherical HP seat, to a replaceable one, and then changed to the the "T" shaped HP poppet design and that has undergone some iterations like tri-material and ACT. Also at some point they redesigned the exterior as the two I have are giant chunks of chrome plated brass. I can't seem to pin down when the changes were made.

I would like to put together as definitive a timeline as I can for both the MR22 and the Abyss that notes all the design changes and versions throughout the years, but Mares has not been very responsive to any info requests about this. Would you be able to help?

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

-Z

I may have most of that info available to me, but it is difficult to tease it out from all the many reference documents published by Mares, and even a less than perfect dating system on their docs. But let's try a first pass at it, and see how many errors I make that someone else will correct...

Valves
  1. Hemispherical poppet head design found in 1998 drawing for Ruby and MR22 1st.
  2. The early SCS valve used in V16/32 had an upgrade to the valve seat in 2005.
  3. I believe the transition from V16/32/42 to MR16/32/42 (2007?) marked the change to the more modern T-shape rubber poppet & seat configuration.
  4. Poppet change from rubber to Tri-material (2007?/2009?) required change to poppet seat. I think this is when service procedure was changed to replace the poppet at alternating annual overhauls rather than every year.
  5. Poppet change from Tri-material to ACT version, (2015/2016?) and service procedure changed to alternating inspections and overhauls. No small version ACT produced for discontinued V42, so old service schedule still applies. Also, since Navy has not been tested with ACT, that continues to use Tri-material and annual overhauls.
First Stage
  1. Earliest dated drawing I find for MR22 and Ruby 1st is 1998, with hemispherical poppet and "bulky" body.
  2. Earliest dated drawing I find for Abyss 1st is 2000. Uses T-shaped poppet, and "bulky" body. Documentation for MR22 seems to disappear. Updated more sleek/modern design of yoke and yoke knob than "boxy" Ruby/MR22 from 1998.
  3. 2004 brief reappearance of MR22 documentation, probably not an added production item.
  4. Abyss T - variation? Or change of designation? Difference not readily apparent. May have indicated change to Tri-material valve.
  5. 2008/2009 Smaller body style appears on MR22, similar body MR32 and bulky Abyss bodies go away.
  6. No changes found until 22x (2015/2016) designation used to identify otherwise identical product built with new ACT poppet.
  7. 2018 - last appearance* of 22x in Mares product line.
Second Stage
  1. Earliest dated drawing I find for "old school" metal body is 1998 listing Ruby, Abyss, Voltrex
  2. Orbiter, Abyss Turbo, Abyss Titanium are other variants that all appear to use the same box, just different covers and sometimes requiring different adjustment due to cover variations.
  3. There may have been changes to rubber seats at some point to allow extended service intervals.
  4. 2008/2009 - new demand lever, lever adjustment port added to box (thank you!!!) and first appearance of the final version of the cover.
  5. 2018 - last appearance* of Abyss in Mares product line.
* Abyss22 Navy II continues to be available. I believe there were 3 generations of Navy, plus Abyss Extreme that was basically an upgraded Navy that had not yet been evaluated by USN.

@JackD342
Do you know how to determine year of manufacture from the serial numbers on the first and 2nd stages?

Also, could you explain this change a little more?:
2008/2009 - new demand lever, lever adjustment port added to box (thank you!!!).

Back
Top Bottom