Mares Hybrid BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gzr3000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm new to diving and planning to buy my first BC. I'd like a BC that's easy to travel with, has a weight pockets and of course is easy to dive with. A jacket type might be reserve too much luggage space. A backpack type might be uncomfortable on the surface(?). So I think a hybrid might do the trick.

Anyone had a chance of trying the Mares Hybrid BCD? Or do you have good options in mind?

Thanks for your help.

>gzr

I am not familiar with the Mares.

If you want "compact" you might consider using a weight belt and no integrated weights.

A properly adjusted BP&W is extremely comfortable in the water and floating at the surface. If you plan to wear the BP&W while on an extended hike you can get padded straps.

There are a number of good travel BCs out there. I believe that less is more when it comes to features.

The most important "fit" is how it behaves underwater.

I've seen it in persone and it doesn't lay as flat as some other BC's.

Here is one that has been real popular (if you don't want BP&W). It is the DiveRite Travel Pac.

Dive Rite Travel Pac T4000

If you want, you can add weight integration.

16LB QB Weight Pocket

The DiveRite is a much better (made in the U.S., more compact, adjustable SS d-rings, can add options) option!

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks for the comments. I'll have a look at the Dive Rite Travel pack (hope to find a LDS to try it on).

>gzr

Nvm...

My girlfriend just got this and REALLY loves it. It actually folds in half for travel (the back plate actually has a hinge! Mares calls the design a foldable backpack). And it's fairly light (a little over 8#). Weight capacity is reasonable, with 9lbs at each side pocket, plus trim pockets in the lower back/hip area. It's very adjustable for fit - even allowing adjustments to how the shoulder straps "flare" and an ability to move the chest strap up or down a bit. It really did have everything she was looking for. Good luck!

I'd really love to know where she she got the MAres Hybrid MRS Plus. I've had it on order since March, and they're backordered everywhere. I even contacted Mares who apologized noting that there have been distribution issues, and that they should be available in mid-June. That's what I've heard every month for the past 3 months.

===

My girlfriend just got this and REALLY loves it. It actually folds in half for travel (the back plate actually has a hinge! Mares calls the design a foldable backpack). And it's fairly light (a little over 8#). Weight capacity is reasonable, with 9lbs at each side pocket, plus trim pockets in the lower back/hip area. It's very adjustable for fit - even allowing adjustments to how the shoulder straps "flare" and an ability to move the chest strap up or down a bit. It really did have everything she was looking for. Good luck!

The one thing I would point out about the Mares Hybrid is basically what I'd point out about any Mares BCD - if you look around on diving forums and other sources, you'll find plenty of negative chatter about the integrated weight system Mares uses. You should take a look at that and see how seriously you take the posts and consumer commentary before taking a Mares. There is enough of it out there that it ought to be looked at and thought about, but like all commentary from basically anonymous people, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I am looking at the same kit for myself and my wife. I currently dive a transplate with IWS and i love it. Not going back to a belt unless its for a period of instruction w/ students.

The big problem that I am reading is that people are losing their weight pockets? I can't believe that they are that loose... Some of the posters even mention that THEY KNOW they fastened them correctly. But I can't imagine Mares, one of the premier names in diving, would create a product that is so innovative only to screw up the IWS.

Not to mention, any diver who doesn't realize they've lost weights probably requires more time in the water and isn't very streamlined. Empty pockets, maybe? Even then, why bring them? I'll look into more, but I have to guess that this is a novice diver issue.

Back
Top Bottom