Mares Hybrid BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking at the same kit for myself and my wife. The big problem that I am reading is that people are losing their weight pockets?

I recently received mine after 3 months of backorder, and it looks and feels solid. But my dive trip was recently cancelled, so I haven't used it yet. I hope to hell the weight pockets are secure after reading your post. I will say that inserting them requires a very firm push; more than I like. So it may well be that some people aren't inserting them securely.

It's true there's been some historical issues with Mares MRS pockets, but I believe they've been addressed. My girlfriend hasn't had any issues with her hybrid (after being dived pretty hard off boats at weeklong trips at Cozumel and Fiji at this point)... BTW, she did get one of the first (at local LDS All Wet Scuba, who has them in stock)... ALso, I've owned a Mares Dragon and loved it up til when I sold it after putting about 100 dives on it (now diving an Oceanic Biolite)... I tend to agree that lost weight pockets have something to do with either novice diver or unfamiliarity ( the Mares handles are almost too easy too grab). In any event, as someone else mentioned, take any feedback with a grain of salt and evaluate firsthand for yourself... Personally, my direct experience with Mares has been solid... Good luck!

I've had a Kaila and my bf a dragon for 4 years, over 80 dives on mine. My bf lost a pocket through his own stupidity of putting it in just before jumping out of a fast moving Banca. I always just give them a quick shake after putting them in. As a woman, I love the kaila, my bf loves the integrated air on his dragon which I have always been jealous of.

I'm looking to slim down my gear since I am doing so much diving since I moved to SG. I have a 2 week backpack in the Philippines coming up. Has anyone bought the hybrid and can compare the travel size to the kaila? Pictures would be great as I haven't seen any and will get it online.

I forgot to add, mares did change their pockets about 4-5 years ago so the issues could be with the older type. Replacing them is no hassle. I love integrated weights, no kidney pressure and straight into the water whilst everyone else is still getting their belt on

I've had a Kaila and my bf a dragon for 4 years, over 80 dives on mine. My bf lost a pocket through his own stupidity of putting it in just before jumping out of a fast moving Banca. I always just give them a quick shake after putting them in. As a woman, I love the kaila, my bf loves the integrated air on his dragon which I have always been jealous of.

I'm looking to slim down my gear since I am doing so much diving since I moved to SG. I have a 2 week backpack in the Philippines coming up. Has anyone bought the hybrid and can compare the travel size to the kaila? Pictures would be great as I haven't seen any and will get it online.

===

There is a Mares Hybrid "She Dives" model. If that's what you're talking about, I'd say the Mares Hybrid "She Dives" would be at least as packable as a Kaila.

Hi Rikbarry,

Yep thats the one. It wouldnt be the same as the Kaila is a full jacket. I'd love to hear from someone who has seen one in the store. Supplies are limited in SG.

Got the Hybrid for my vacation trip.

Now that I've got some dives on it, I must say I'm really pleased with it! It's adjustable/convenient and the IWS works just fine for me (didn't lose any weight pockets so far). The IWS needs to be double checked that it's secured correctly. The pockets should come off easily (in case of emergency) but I can imagine someone pulling them out accidentally as well. You might want to check that the pockets are safely in place after going in the water. You can fold the BC to fit better in your luggage as well, but it's not as compact as I thought. It's not that heavy though, so maybe I just need a bigger luggage :wink:

gzr

I am also considering between the DraGON, Kaila and the Hybrid for my wife. She is a plumpish woman to be honest, so I am seeking seniors and the more experienced divers' here opinions on which to get for her. She just completed her BOW from PADI, but seeing the kind of poorly maintained gears from some dive companies, I am determined to get her own gear. So, which to get?

I'm new to diving and planning to buy my first BC. I'd like a BC that's easy to travel with, has a weight pockets and of course is easy to dive with. A jacket type might be reserve too much luggage space. A backpack type might be uncomfortable on the surface(?). So I think a hybrid might do the trick.

Anyone had a chance of trying the Mares Hybrid BCD? Or do you have good options in mind?

Thanks for your help.

>gzr

It's ridiculous, bloated, and looks like might even be dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom