Mares M2 or Gekko or....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For now I'm going to try looking for a nice basic computer like the Mares M2 or Sunnto Gekko... Any recommendations on either one of those, or maybe something else? Thanks all!

I was in a similar position to you a month ago looking for a computer. Have a look at the Cressi Archimede II (same as Zeagle N2ition, Dive Rite Nitek Duo and Tusa IQ-700). Great price at LeisurePro.

I think this computer has the best bang for buck of any computer <$300. I'm very happy with mine and it has heaps of features which I know I'll get to use as my diving experience develops.

I'm in a similar position now. Presently have my eye on the Mares Puck. Any reason why she is not under your consideration. Some how the Puck is more appealing to me then the gekko.

I have the Mares M1, which I believe is the same except that the upgraded the buttons. It does the job. Not the easiest to navigate as far as the menus go. The really nice thing is that it takes AA batteries that you can change in a few seconds.

I have a Mares M2. For a VERY basic computer, it's ok. But if you ever plan on downloading your dive data to a PC, forget it! You'll have to spend the same amount of money on a download interface, where a bunch of other computers just use a simple IRDA.

I thought the way you did, and bought a 'for now' computer, and now I'm wishing I didn't. Rather, I should have saved the money and just got a better model from the beginning. Just something to think over...

Trained and borrowed a Viper (Gekko's big brother) for a few weeks. Very nice computers. Owned an M2 for a year. Simple but did the job. Loved the AAA batteries. Just pop in new ones at the start of a trip. The M2 died under warranty. Mares couldn't fix it and since it isn't made anymore they sent me a Puck. A+ for customer service.

The Puck is simple and a much better display than the M2. There is a pretty pricey option to download the computer.

As stated before, these are all basic computers so if you plan to do more advanced diving you may wan to consider something better. I'm a vacation diver and any of these basic computers suit me well.

Back
Top Bottom