Question Mares Mission 2 Console Depth Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nirdesht

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi ScubaBoard,

I have a technical question related to the Mares Mission 2 Console. I noticed that the depth gauge has several air bubbles after flying (I took the regulator in the carry on). Is this normal or a malfunction?

I also have read that oil filled gauges usually have an air bubble? Any insight would be very helpful indeed. Many thanks!

Attachments

• tempImagekWLARY.png
    tempImagekWLARY.png
    667.9 KB · Views: 24
  • tempImagei6egNh.png
    tempImagei6egNh.png
    579.6 KB · Views: 25
Could be normal or it could be you have a very fine hairline crack somewhere on the face or one of the other aspects of the gauge. If the bubble remains the same size after diving then all is good....if the bubble grows in size after diving then your gauge is cracked and slowly leaking oil. This was a common failure mode for Suunto SK7 dive compasses...the crack can be so fine that it is nearly imperceptable under most lighting conditions.

The bad news is that it may be broken. The good news is that if you are diving with a computer then the analogue depth gauge is just a backup. Many divers have even stopped diving with an analogue depth gauge and instead rely totally on their computer and often the known depths of features in their dive environment.....if a computer fails, the protocol is to head at a safe ascent rate to the surface. If you are only diving with that depth gauge then if, during a dive, you believe it stopped working properly, then make a safe ascent to the surface.

If you don't already have a computer, my recommendation is to invest in one instead of a replacement depth gauge for your console.

If you don't want to dive with a broken depth gauge, you can remove the SPG from the console and dive with it just attached to the end of its hose. There should be instructions on the interwebs on how to remove it.

Oh, and one other thing....I believe the Mares Puck dive computer is sized to fit in the space occupied by your depth gauge....just another option for you.

-Z

Hi Zef - Thank you very much indeed for your message and insight into what could have happened.

I do have a dive computer. I had wanted a console with the depth gauge as a backup.

I will definitely check for the size of the bubble right after my next dive.

Cheers,
Nirdesh

Could be normal or it could be you have a very fine hairline crack somewhere on the face or one of the other aspects of the gauge. If the bubble remains the same size after diving then all is good....if the bubble grows in size after diving then your gauge is cracked and slowly leaking oil. This was a common failure mode for Suunto SK7 dive compasses...the crack can be so fine that it is nearly imperceptable under most lighting conditions.

The bad news is that it may be broken. The good news is that if you are diving with a computer then the analogue depth gauge is just a backup. Many divers have even stopped diving with an analogue depth gauge and instead rely totally on their computer and often the known depths of features in their dive environment.....if a computer fails, the protocol is to head at a safe ascent rate to the surface. If you are only diving with that depth gauge then if, during a dive, you believe it stopped working properly, then make a safe ascent to the surface.

If you don't already have a computer, my recommendation is to invest in one instead of a replacement depth gauge for your console.

If you don't want to dive with a broken depth gauge, you can remove the SPG from the console and dive with it just attached to the end of its hose. There should be instructions on the interwebs on how to remove it.

Oh, and one other thing....I believe the Mares Puck dive computer is sized to fit in the space occupied by your depth gauge....just another option for you.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom