Mares MR12 Proton or Scubapro MK16/R380

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with either (or both) of these regs? Trying to find a decent set that's affordable. Both of these list under $200 on LP. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm more than happy to hear them. thanks.

I have an MR12 first stage with Proton regulator. It seems like a steady unit. Breathing seems consistent, but a bit heavy, down to 117' (my deepest dive with that reg). I have an AirSource regulator as my backup, which breathes almost as smoothly.

The issue of breathing slightly hard, may just be because of the mouthpiece. I switched to a "ComfoBite" mouthpiece, and though I've only been in the pool since, it seemed to flow a bit better. When it had the factory mouthpiece, I think I was biting down a bit hard, so the air couldn't flow through my (nearly) closed teeth.

Anything I've seen posted about ScubaPro regs, seems favorable, but the LDS was suggesting the Mares, so I bought it. I'm quite satisfied with my Proton.

Scubapro purchased from a dealer have a lifetime warranty and lifetime free parts. The parts usually run $10-$15 a reg.
If you intend to use these regs for years, consider the cost factor.
Myself, I bought a couple of used Scubapro G200s and had them upgraded to G200bs. The G200b is just like a G250 without the adjustment knob. My first stage is a scubapro Mk10, which is an older balanced piston regulator. (I know people that still dive mk5 balanced pistons) I also have a scubapro mk200 which is just like a mk2. (Unbalanced piston)

Whatever you buy, make sure your first stage is balanced. Pistons tend to be considered more reliable.

The main question is what your LDS/tech deals with. My preferred LDS only services scubapro regs. (He spends 90% of his time rebuilding regs.) My not so preferred LDS will service whatever you take them. My instructor keeps G250s/Mk20s for pool use only! That's how much he loves those regs.

I'm not familiar with the Mares. In my case, I'm not interested in them since scubapro has a great reputation and I trust my tech.

I'm not an all scubapro guy tho. I don't really like their BC designs, so I've got a Zeagle Concept BC.

Back
Top Bottom