mares mv octo. can i use as primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yogavnture

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i use a mares octo now it looks exactly like the mares mv octopus ............but its older and black color i see its discontinued i like the sleek look of these units. i also use a tusa duo air as back up but find it kind of confusing. QUESTION IS THIS IS THEIR ENUF PORTS THAT I COULD BUY A MARES MV OCTOPUS AND USE IT AS A BACK UP AIR SOURCE IN ADDITION TO MY OTHER TUSA DUO AIR.. THAT WOULD GIVE ME THREE AIR POSSIBILITYS

NUMBER OF PORTS DEPENDS ON YOUR 1ST STAGE , SOME HAVE MORE SOME HAVE LESS.
TAKE A LOOK ON YOURS TO CHECK FOR AVAILABLE PORTS
thanks i dont know much about dive gear i will ask my dive shop........so you see my logic. even though i have a primary and the duo air . i want a third thing........which will dangle off the 1st stage. maybe more trouble than worth? if i havent serviced my primary since new 5 years ago am i risking danger

thanks i dont know much about dive gear i will ask my dive shop........so you see my logic. even though i have a primary and the duo air . i want a third thing........which will dangle off the 1st stage. maybe more trouble than worth? if i havent serviced my primary since new 5 years ago am i risking danger

Don't dive your regulator before getting it serviced.

Most regs require yearly maintenance (some every other year) and failing to do that is risking your reg failing on you.

Yes, you should be very concerned. Just remember we are talking about the thing keeping you alive underwater. The only thing that enables you to breath in an environment that will quickly kill you otherwise. Take care of it as if it's your child.

Regarding your Duo Air - get rid of it. It's highly impractical when you actually need to use it
Most people that have it never realize it because they never use it but try using it for 1 dive and you will quickly see the faults.
It's very hard to control your buoyancy when you keep having to take the reg out of your mouth, especially in a quick ascent . In an emergency that thing is the worse thing you can have.

Also 3 air sources is not necessary and it will just encumber you and make you a #flappysnaghazard (simplyscuba anyone?).

If your reg is properly serviced the risk of your 2and stage failing on you is slim, even if it does you have your octo.

If your 1st stage fails than you can have 100 octos with you, it wouldn't matter.
This is why you have your buddy.

my primary now is a brown colored slim mares. looks exactly like the mares mv..........but its black or brown color. i know it was advertized as a primary. ive never had it serviced.................i do know of a service shop in phillipines where i dive but its some years old and i wonder if the mares service shop thier has the parts to service it. ? i willl try..........thanks for advise on the duo air..............what duo air is is a two function thing . its a back up air source and a bcd inflator. i will get rid of it and get a dedicated air inflator........thanks for that.............then i will get the mare mv as my back up. that mares mv is pretty . its small and easy............ive been looking at the mares 15x instinct as my new primary as its sleek and small.......i dont want some heavy thing in my mouth hurts my teeth. bye

The black version of the Octo MV was the Dacor Vyper. That is about 15-20 years old. If you don’t know when it was last serviced, get it done. Service kit is same as the MV. But if anything needs replacement, only MV parts are available. For example, the mesh purge cover likes to wear out and crack on those.

If your 1st stage fails than you can have 100 octos with you, it wouldn't matter.
This is why you have your buddy.
Or TWO first stages, as I use routinely even on a single cylinder!
I did never think that a single first stage is "safe" enough for me.

Or TWO first stages, as I use routinely even on a single cylinder!
I did never think that a single first stage is "safe" enough for me.

Adding unnecessary failure points in my opinion.

Are you using a double valve set up ? Or some sort of adapter ?

Adding unnecessary failure points in my opinion.

Are you using a double valve set up ? Or some sort of adapter ?
All cylinders here in Italy have two valves. So why not using also the second one?
The most common failures I have seen in many years are:
1) The O-ring of a yoke-mounted rec explodes (not nice).
2) The synthesised metal filter gets clogged, and very small amount of air passes through.
3) One of the two second stages goes in free flow.
In both cases, only a complete second first stage avoids the need of a controlled ascent.
Of course, closing the valve of the failed reg. But it takes just 5 seconds, or so...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom