mares mv octo. can i use as primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I HAVE TO state here that i cant be the only one who dont maintain equipment. >>>??? you never see any incidents from people who dont maintain equipment????/s

i like mares as in cebu phillipines they have a maintenance shop ...............do you all have recommendations for compact mares stuff to put on my bcd? i will get rid of my duo air...........i want compact and light weight . i do about 60 dives a year.............and never go below 30 meters

I HAVE TO state here that i cant be the only one who dont maintain equipment. >>>??? you never see any incidents from people who dont maintain equipment????/s

Can't tell if you are being serious or just not very smart. (Putting it nicely)

Do you ever service the brakes on your car ? Why ? No one ever died from not maintaining their brakes.

Where is your logic ?

im always serious.. im gonna try to get the reg serviced. not sure if a dive shop could do it. or not.........i will try to take to mares service center but as the reg is 15 years old apparently not sure if they would have parts..( i bought mine new about 4 years ago) it has about 100 dives on it. i will replace it after i go diving again 25 times next month. hopefully i will survive..........but again i suspect their are manyblokes who dont maintain equip. properly.............and if my stuff is that bad wouldnt a dive master or dive shop call a person out on it? who wants somebody dying on their watch

im not very smart...............but brakes on a car usually give symptoms before many folks maintain them. dont want to argue about this......i will service my unit if i can

im always serious.. im gonna try to get the reg serviced. not sure if a dive shop could do it. or not.........i will try to take to mares service center but as the reg is 15 years old apparently not sure if they would have parts..( i bought mine new about 4 years ago) it has about 100 dives on it. i will replace it after i go diving again 25 times next month. hopefully i will survive..........but again i suspect their are manyblokes who dont maintain equip. properly.............and if my stuff is that bad wouldnt a dive master or dive shop call a person out on it? who wants somebody dying on their watch
You have provided no information regarding the 1st stage, but if it is a Dacor branded Mares that was originally paired with the Vyper 2nd stage then service kits are still available. If original poppet valve and seat is still inside that will need to be upgraded. Many major parts are no longer available, but those don’t often require replacement. Just be sure to seek out a shop that has solid experience with Mares. Can you post a photo of 1st and 2nd stages?

yes i bought the first and second stage as a package. i will take to mares service center in cebu city and possibly they could service. ????? i wonder if they could do in a day or two or even when i wait? i will contact them thanks. i dont have pics as the unit is in my storage in phillipines

Regarding your Duo Air - get rid of it. It's highly impractical when you actually need to use it
Most people that have it never realize it because they never use it but try using it for 1 dive and you will quickly see the faults.
It's very hard to control your buoyancy when you keep having to take the reg out of your mouth, especially in a quick ascent . In an emergency that thing is the worse thing you can have.
I don't know if I would go so far as to tell somebody to get rid of a piece of equipment if they like using it, but I 100% agree with you on all points here. I've used the Scubapro version of one of these once and found it terrible. I was the DM assistant in a class and we were demonstrating an out of air, regulator exchange skill and I actually managed to grab my snorkel first because it was sitting right on top of the regulator. After I got the reg into my mouth I was surprised by just how uncomfortable it was to breathe off of - It pulls your head to the side and really limits your range of motion. We were only in 3 feet of water in the pool, so I didn't get to experience the fun of trying to vent my BC while ascending. The next day I went back to my own setup, with a long hose primary and a backup bungeed around my neck.

@yogavnture please don't take this the wrong way, but you have over 200 dives? You should be much more familiar with your equipment and the need to keep it in good condition. It is not the dive master or dive shop's responsibility to make sure your equipment is safe to dive - how would they even know? Unless I'm with a brand new diver or somebody who just bought some used equipment and specifically asks me to take a look at it, I'm not going to waste time and insult every diver I dive with by doing a safety inspection on their regulator and BC. Ultimately, you are responsible for your own safety.

I don't know if I would go so far as to tell somebody to get rid of a piece of equipment if they like using it, but I 100% agree with you on all points here. I've used the Atomic version of one of these once and found it terrible. I was the DM assistant in a class and we were demonstrating an out of air, regulator exchange skill and I actually managed to grab my snorkel first because it was sitting right on top of the regulator. After I got the reg into my mouth I was surprised by just how uncomfortable it was to breathe off of - It pulls your head to the side and really limits your range of motion. We were only in 3 feet of water in the pool, so I didn't get to experience the fun of trying to vent my BC while ascending. The next day I went back to my own setup, with a long hose primary and a backup bungeed around my neck.

@yogavnture please don't take this the wrong way, but you have over 200 dives? You should be much more familiar with your equipment and the need to keep it in good condition. It is not the dive master or dive shop's responsibility to make sure your equipment is safe to dive - how would they even know? Unless I'm with a brand new diver or somebody who just bought some used equipment and specifically asks me to take a look at it, I'm not going to waste time and insult every diver I dive with by doing a safety inspection on their regulator and BC. Ultimately, you are responsible for your own safety.
i will try to get it serviced. thanks for info on duo air i will get rid of it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom