Mares NTT/DPD or metal regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kc5zom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm about to buy my first reg and was looking at the Mares Prestige 22 NTT / DPD. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any problems I need to look out for or a reason I should skip these and go with a metal regulator?

Hi kc5zom,

I don't have experience with the Prestige 2nd, but do own Mares Proton & Rebel plastic 2nds, Abyss and Voltrex 2nd's metal 2nds.

If you can afford a Mares metal 2nd stage (Proton or Abyss), buy it. The metal 2nd stage body allows slight condesation within the 2nd stage, which "moisturizes" the air, thus dramatically reducing "dry mouth". And subjectively, the metal 2nd's seem to breath a bit better? At least it feels that way to me; it could be my imagination.

Best wishes.

I second going for an Abyss or Proton. I have dove an Abyss for about 10 years with no problems.

I went with the advice and got an Abyss 22 today, haven't had a chance to take it out and give it a try yet. I went ahead and bought an NTT octo though, let my buddy be the guinea pig :)

Good choice. I've been really happy with my MR-22 Abyss.

Best wishes.

Congrats! You will love the Abyss, it will give you many years of great service

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom