Mares Proton ICE v32 first stage HP valve / seat needs replacement ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfcvgool

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It seems (for The Netherlands/ Europe) a modifiication for the Mares proton ice V32 first stage is mandatory.

The High Pressure valve/ seat is kind of sensitive. Because of that the middle-pressure can rise and cause the second stage to leak or blow.

Accurding to our country dealer there is nothing to worry about.

------------- (translated quote from Dealer) -------------
The modification is not required or mandatory. It is only required when your second stage is leaking. This could be caused by the HP seat in the first stage of the regulator. During normal / regular maintainance this part will be replaced.

No need to worry when your regulator is functioning corectly. The modification can take place during regular /planned maintainance.
-------------

The service organisations are told the HP valve should always be replaced during maintainance. The costs will be charged to the customer.

I'm looking forward to your opinion on this topic, please respond to my statements below:

a) A leaking highpressure valve cannot cause extra danger or damage. A recall is not neccessary.....
b) The original valve should always be replaced by a new one (also when the middle-pressure is not rising).....
c) This is not a construction/ material problem of the original valve. The new valve is just better. So it is normal the costs are for the owner....

Daniel

The modification is not required or mandatory. It is only required when your second stage is leaking.
No need to worry when your regulator is functioning corectly. The modification can take place during regular /planned maintainance.
Daniel,

It sounds like there is miscommunication between you and the dealer. Technically what they are saying is correct, if your regulator is functioning properly there is no need to immediately replace the poppet currently in the regulator. We have recently introduced the new poppet "Tri - Material" which we feel is better and consider it an upgrade not a solution to a recall.

Now it sounds like you do have a problem with your regulator. Because I can't look at the regulator to diagnose the problem, I would suggest you take it to a certified Mares technician and request they diagnose it. If for some reason it is the HP poppet / seat I would recommend replacing with the new tri-material poppet. Please note it could be a myriad of other things that is causing your reg to freeflow.

As to some of your questions:

a) A leaking highpressure valve cannot cause extra danger or damage. A recall is not neccessary.....
Yes a leaking HP seat / poppet is cause for service.

b) The original valve should always be replaced by a new one (also when the middle-pressure is not rising).....
Mares guide for the useful lifetime of HP poppets under normal diving conditions is, 2 to 4yrs depending upon which poppet / seat being used. This is discretionary and up to the person servicing the regulator. This is strictly a guideline and can't be considered a blanket statement, there are simply too many variables ie; care, cleaning, conditions etc.

c) This is not a construction/ material problem of the original valve. The new valve is just better. So it is normal the costs are for the owner....

This is true. Again the consumer would be paying for a new seat regardless of whether it is the old or the new valve at the time of service (except in the U.S. under our new no charge parts replacement policy (for qualifying regs)).

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

Best regards,

Hi Zak,

Thanks for your answer,

I've one additional question.
My dealer told me the HP Poppet / seat would be replaced by the one that is used MR-Type regulators. A.f.i.k. these regulators have entered market earlier that the proton-Type regulators.

For me this is unclear now, will the poppet be replaced with a newer type or with an older (more reliable) type?

Daniel

Daniel,

Glad to help. The poppet / seat currently in the v32 1st stage is called a spherical core seal or SCS for short. The new tri-material poppet is similar to the older MR type poppet only it is made of a different material. So the answer is, the new ones resemble the old, only they are different. Should you decide to upgrade, request your dealer use the new kit that contains the new poppet and seat, part #46200705.

best,

Hi Daniel,

Funny to see you here with the same question as you asked on the Dutch forum :huh:
Why did you not take this up with Topsport diving if you didn't like the answer you got:confused: witch is by the way the same as Zak gave you. Or with any other Dutch dealer:confused:
Are we that bad:11:

regards,

evert/mares dealer

Hi Evert,

Maybe my view is troubled but i only see a lot of proton ICE regulators who are starting leaking over and over again.

And now i see a replacement with an old type-poppet in a newer material.
My feeling is the spherical core seal has never worked that well...

The local service organisations know that the SCS are bad and will replace them with a new (old) type even without asking and also when you are not experiencing any troubles. They claim MARES told them to replace by default.

My guess (could be wrong) is the equipment is not performing OK, needs an upgrade, and the customer has to pay for it.

Regards,

Daniel

Is it a specific problem to the Proton V32 or is it something that is true for all the Proton line, such as the V16?

I am not sure of the specific issue in the Netherlands, nor as to what the local distributor has communicated, if there is a thread specific to this topic on those boards, then maybe it is best discussed there. We have no specific issue witht he V16 or V32.

The new poppet is new, it use three materials in it's constuction and our tests show that it lasts much longer, we are now using this on all regs, MR & V series.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom