Mares Proton MR32 still having problems....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speardoggin

Contributor
Reaction score
I sent it out to get checked by Mares who says it is fine, but I still think there is something wrong with my regulator. I just seems like I have to suck the air out of this thing. Is there something simple I can adjust to fix this on my own??? I am contemplating sell the reg.

PS my proton octo is easier to breathe from then my proton metal second

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

2 Identical threads merged
No double posting please
Thank you

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

2 Identical threads merged
No double posting please
Thank you

Yeah, i accidentally posted in the Regulator forum first, but actually wanted it in this forum anyways.

I sent it out to get checked by Mares who says it is fine, but I still think there is something wrong with my regulator. I just seems like I have to suck the air out of this thing. Is there something simple I can adjust to fix this on my own??? I am contemplating sell the reg.

PS my proton octo is easier to breathe from then my proton metal second

Ask the tech what the cracking effort is of the reg. Due to the case geometry of the Proton, the setting should be between 1.0-1.3 inches of water. Also, ask them how much the intermediate pressure is dropping when the purge valve is depressed. It should not drop more than 10-12psi while purging. The static intermediate pressure should be between 138-150psi.

One quick test that you can perform using a cylinder is as follows. Put the reg on the valve, and prior to pressurizing the reg lightly shake the second stage. Listen for a clicking or tapping sound. Next, pressurize the reg and repeat the light shaking motion. While the reg is unpressurized you should not hear the sound. After pressurization, you should be able to hear the audible clicking. If the clicking occurs while unpressurized then the lever is set incorrectly, and can be the cause of excessive inhalation effort. This simple screening test only applies to a primary second stage. The AAS is typically set to a cracking effort of 1.2-1.6" to reduce the chance of leakage. An AAS might have the audible clicking while unpressurized.

When I service the Proton regs, I set the primary to 1.1", and the AAS to 1.3" This makes certain that the primary does not free flow in the worst case position, that being face down parallel to the surface. Due to the case geometry this allows the reg to have a "true" cracking effort of around 0.5" in a typical, slightly head up, swimming position.

Judging a reg's performance by inhaling from it at the surface is much like judging a car's performance potential by listening to the engine being revved at a street light. Make a dive with it, and then discuss it with the tech.

Greg Barlow

Ask the tech what the cracking effort is of the reg. Due to the case geometry of the Proton, the setting should be between 1.0-1.3 inches of water. Also, ask them how much the intermediate pressure is dropping when the purge valve is depressed. It should not drop more than 10-12psi while purging. The static intermediate pressure should be between 138-150psi.

One quick test that you can perform using a cylinder is as follows. Put the reg on the valve, and prior to pressurizing the reg lightly shake the second stage. Listen for a clicking or tapping sound. Next, pressurize the reg and repeat the light shaking motion. While the reg is unpressurized you should not hear the sound. After pressurization, you should be able to hear the audible clicking. If the clicking occurs while unpressurized then the lever is set incorrectly, and can be the cause of excessive inhalation effort. This simple screening test only applies to a primary second stage. The AAS is typically set to a cracking effort of 1.2-1.6" to reduce the chance of leakage. An AAS might have the audible clicking while unpressurized.

When I service the Proton regs, I set the primary to 1.1", and the AAS to 1.3" This makes certain that the primary does not free flow in the worst case position, that being face down parallel to the surface. Due to the case geometry this allows the reg to have a "true" cracking effort of around 0.5" in a typical, slightly head up, swimming position.

Judging a reg's performance by inhaling from it at the surface is much like judging a car's performance potential by listening to the engine being revved at a street light. Make a dive with it, and then discuss it with the tech.

Greg Barlow

Thank you for the quick reply. This is a why I buy Mares products, great customer service and a great product. BTW, what is the AAS??

Also, is there a class I can take to work on my own regs??? I really would like to do so. I am really anal about my stuff since I dive fairly deep.

Thank you for the quick reply. This is a why I buy Mares products, great customer service and a great product. BTW, what is the AAS??

Also, is there a class I can take to work on my own regs??? I really would like to do so. I am really anal about my stuff since I dive fairly deep.

AAS is short for "alternate air source". Most reg repair courses are only offered to employees of authorized dealers. I would check around some of your local dive shops. At the least, learn how to do the basic tests on a reg such as intermediate pressure, and cracking effort.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom