Mares proton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A pretty nice reg for the money (I think a paid $250 at Divers Direct). I don't really like the purge button (too stiff), but the 1st stage is very solid.

I used a the V16 for my pony reg, but it would work well as primary.

Welcome to diving. I have been using the Proton metal 2nd stage V-16 since June. I had the Oceanic Alpha 7 prior to that. They both seem to be good breathers, and the metal in the Proton retains some breath mositure to keep my throat drier. I can't tell you about the depth performance of Proton V-16, as I've only had it to 120 feet. It has received good test ratings. I plan on using it a long time.

Your post will get a lot of answers like "Dont get that...get one like mine, it's the greatest". Divers tend to be real proud of their gear. Some may even say that they don't like one and have not tried it. No worry. All the real bad regulators went off the market years ago. Most of these discussions are over the fine points.

Happy diving.

Stu S.:
They both seem to be good breathers, and the metal in the Proton retains some breath mositure to keep my throat drier.
I think you meant less dry or more moist?

Your post will get a lot of answers like "Dont get that...get one like mine, it's the greatest". Divers tend to be real proud of their gear. Some may even say that they don't like one and have not tried it. No worry. All the real bad regulators went off the market years ago. Most of these discussions are over the fine points.
Geez, this just takes the fun out of the internet. :D

Yes.

The metal second stage helps keep the throat from drying out. And... Chuxter looks like a big football type. I can't imagine him having any problem pushing that purge button in.

Happy diving!

As per most peoples posts you don't really get a bad regulator these days. My first choice wouldn't be Mares but thats me. Still nothing wrong with them. If that is what your local lds stock and it's going to be easy to get serviced etc then that is probably the best for you.

I don't get caught up on brands any more. I just buy whatever is easiest to get fixed or whatever the shop I'm working in supports. It's just easier that what. Obviously I do have brands I prefer over others and if the LDS stocks various brands then I may choose one over another. Usually these choices come down to servicing costs (parts) and the companies after sales support. Some companies are just better than others with there support.

In SA where I am from the company that supplies mares is not great on after sales support and service kits are twice the price of some of the other brands which is why I have not bought any Mares Gear. I have however tried some and have had no problems with any I have tried.

I have about 25 dives on my V16 Proton XL (got for a cheap 215$). It has worked flawlessly in a variety of conditions: down to 96 feet (I know, I know, that's not that deep:D ), and from 7 to 30 ºC. I also find it breathes easier (especially at depth) than the other entry to mid level regs I have tried (scubapro, dacor, aqualung). But, keep in mind I haven't tried them all, so that's just my personal experience...

Anyways, I'm happy with my V16 and hope to be using it for a long long time!!!:14:

Later!

I have a couple hundred dives on a V16 Proton, and I love it. It's an easy breather, and delivers all the air I need. The only drawback for me is when I'm taking photos. The shorter exhaust tee tends to put the bubbles in your face sometimes when you're trying to set up for a picture. Other than than, I have no complaints. For the money, it's a great performing reg.

Dove with a guy that had one of these (I've got the V32 Proton Ice), the only time he had much trouble breathing out of it was when someone'd yank it out of his mouth, but that was found to be a problem for people with Sherwood and Scubapro regs, too. Both it and mine happily delivered air as far down as 45m. If you get the all metal Proton second stage, for being metal, it's relatively light, but compared to plastic, it's still a bit heavy - between that, my jaw issues, and the somewhat stiff hose, I'm very glad for my SeaCure.

OK i talked with the dive shop I am planning on buying from last night and apparently the V16 Proton is no longer available. so now i am between the MR12? and the Abyss ther is about 200 dollars between the 2 of them. I know at the time I will be lucky to get about 12 dives a year so the Mr12 is probably good enough but the abyss is probably a lot better Reg in the long run. So what do you all think on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom