Mares Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDean59

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone tell me of the experiences you have with Mares regulators? It seems hard to find anyone that service them but I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive second setup. I have met people on previous trips that dive with Mares so I would think it would be fairly dependable. Thanks in advance.

They are really easy to breath from. I have mostly been using them for the past 6 years and haven´t had any problem with them.
I like them a lot.
All the big names in diving gear have good regulator.

Your question is very broad. Can you narrow down what you would like to know?

I have been using some older mares regs (Abyss/MR22) from circa 2001 and they are like the energizer bunny...they just keep on going/working. Nothing fancy about them, just solid work horses.

-Z

I'm looking at the Mares Journey reg and octo. I was just wondering how dependable they are. One of the things I see is that there are not a lot of LDS that service the Mares type regs. I willing to take a chance if they are good regs. The price is pretty reasonable on the one I was looking at.

I'm looking at the Mares Journey reg and octo. I was just wondering how dependable they are. One of the things I see is that there are not a lot of LDS that service the Mares type regs. I willing to take a chance if they are good regs. The price is pretty reasonable on the one I was looking at.

The Mares Journey 2nd stage looks to be paired, as standard, with the Mares MR15x 1st stage.

The MR15x is a good 1st stage and shares internal components with other Mares 1st stages in the Mares recreational lineup. I would not hesitate to buy a 15X if I needed a new/another 1st stage.

The pictures I could find of the Journey 2nd stage look very similar if not identical to the Mares Prestige 2nd stage. Perhaps it is just a renamed Prestige...if that is the case then it is a decent recreation 2nd stage in the middle of Mares' lineup.

Depending on price, I dont think you cam go wrong with this setup, but I would recommend ensuring you can have it serviced at a location convenient for you or you will have a hassle to deal with when it is due for maintenance.

There are shops that only service the brands they sell and there are shops that service all brands. Check with those near you.

If the deal is to good to pass up, you may be able to search for shops that can do the service if you mail your reg set to them. Or perhaps learn to service them yourself...Mares regulators require few special tools. The greatest challenge is obtaining the service kits/parts.

Hope that helps.

-Z

Btw, while the 15x 1st stage is listed on Mare's US and European websites, I don't see the Journey (or Prestige) 2nd stage listed as a current product at all...could be why you may have found good pricing.

I am not suggesting that as a reason not to buy the regset, as the internals are fairly similar across Mare's lineup.

-Z

The Mares Journey 2nd stage looks to be paired, as standard, with the Mares MR15x 1st stage.

The MR15x is a good 1st stage and shares internal components with other Mares 1st stages in the Mares recreational lineup. I would not hesitate to buy a 15X if I needed a new/another 1st stage.

The pictures I could find of the Journey 2nd stage look very similar if not identical to the Mares Prestige 2nd stage. Perhaps it is just a renamed Prestige...if that is the case then it is a decent recreation 2nd stage in the middle of Mares' lineup.

Depending on price, I dont think you cam go wrong with this setup, but I would recommend ensuring you can have it serviced at a location convenient for you or you will have a hassle to deal with when it is due for maintenance.

There are shops that only service the brands they sell and there are shops that service all brands. Check with those near you.

If the deal is to good to pass up, you may be able to search for shops that can do the service if you mail your reg set to them. Or perhaps learn to service them yourself...Mares regulators require few special tools. The greatest challenge is obtaining the service kits/parts.

Hope that helps.

-Z
If you ever need tools and parts for mares visit here O-rings for Mares - Premium O-rings Provider for Scuba Diving

Mares gets alot of hate by Americans for what they did to dacor after aquiring it.
They do have a reputation of not providing parts anymore after phasing a reg out (usually this is 5 years after they phased it out).

But in general the build quality is very good, especially of the first stages.
The 82x first stage is arguably one of the best first stages on the market, it just has pretty stupid hp-port angling tbh....

I'd say if you can get the 15x prestige for cheap, go for it. But make sure you have a dealer near you, or it might end up costing you more in the end.

Hope that helps.

-Z
Here's a link to the regulator.
Mares Journey 15X Regulator and Octo Scuba Set

Thanks for you help.

Here's a link to the regulator.
Mares Journey 15X Regulator and Octo Scuba Set

Thanks for you help.

I think the reg set you linked to will serve you well. I find Mares regulators to work just as well as just about any other brand on the market. I dont expect you would have issues with it should you purchase it.

That being said, I cant comment on whether the price is a good deal or not, as there are various factors that factor in to that, some being personal in nature. I will state, however, that if you dont plan on servicing the regulator yourself that you should strongly consider the hassle to find a service center and the expense of service in the equation of whether or not you consider the sale price as a "good deal".

Also, realize that by purchasing from a website, if there are any adjustments that need to be made to the 1st or 2nd stages, you will need to find someone to provide that service. It is not incommon across all brands that a regulator needs fine tuning between unboxing and first use. Usually a shop will check and tune the ref if necessary before it walks out the door. It is debatable whether the website you are purchasing from does this.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom