Mariana Trench

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNav

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Should we add to the simulator a dive site for the Mariana Trench?
Would you like to explore (virtually) in first person the "Challenger Deep"?

Let me know.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Since this site is quite deep :D and large it could take a long time to reach the bottom and explore it ... so, I was thinking to "rescale it" and bring the bottom a bit closer to the surface ... let's say 500m instead of almost 11,000.

What do you guys think?

A couple of events happened yesterday (a call from a friend and a BBC article) that renewed my interest in this subject :wink:

I took a closer look at the data and .... OMG .... this site is huge! (and very deep too).
The area of interest is approximately a square of almost 700x700 miles (1,100x1,100Km) with the deepest point at almost 11,000 meters ..... no way I can dive down there .... not even with the simulator :eek:

marianas_map.jpg

This is a big area and there is no way one can cover it all while scuba diving :D
So, to put the Mariana Trench into eDiving we need to break it in pieces and then scale each one of them. It looks like a good plan to me.

The first portion we are going to cover is Central Mariana Trench

central mariana trench.jpg

The size of this area is only 250Km x 250Km ..... and the maximum depth is only 8,858.42 meters .... :? But don't worry, we are going to scale it 100:1 so you can easily dive it too.

Look forward to this new site coming to eDiving very very soon.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom