Marianna Trip Report (w/ photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The photos were taken by James (not on scubaboard) except for the one of James in the air dome.

We headed out for Marianna on Friday. Got an early start Sat. Spent the whole day at Twin. Did two full dives and two mini-dives. The next day we hit twin yet again and did a circuit we'd set up the previous day (headed down at the 1st tee and around) and then jumped off onto another line, went a couple of hundred feet and headed back and completed our circuit. We then went over to Hole-in-the-Wall. Did the downstream section. The viz was fairly poor (about 25', real milky) but it's an amazing cave. Definitely my favorite in the pond. After three long dives Sunday, I was done. James decided to do a solo into upstream Hole (the NSS-CDS neither approves or disapproves of solo cave diving). He was amazed at the size of the rooms. His primary died on him just sort of his turn. I guess he now knows the burntime of his battery.

Anyway, we had an absolute blast on our first trip since getting our cards.

The photos are all from Twin.

Thanks for the trip report,,,,,the pictures are good. Sounded like a great time you had!!

Thanks for posting, glad you had such a good trip.

Willie

loosebits:
James decided to do a solo into upstream Hole (the NSS-CDS neither approves or disapproves of solo cave diving). He was amazed at the size of the rooms. His primary died on him just sort of his turn. I guess he now knows the burntime of his battery.

Anyway, we had an absolute blast on our first trip since getting our cards.

Yeowch!

Been there done that with a primary light failure (flooded) in Hole in the Wall, just before our turn. 45 minutes into the dive, approximately 2200' penetration, memory serving me correctly. Was a long swim out on backup, even with a trusted buddy with a working primary.

As divers who just got your cards, I hope you keep in mind how equipment dependant this sport is. Whether the NSS-CDS approves or disapproves of solo, I can't help but think that it is a good idea to dive with trusted buddies, at least until you gain experience in this environment.

Dive Safe!

I'm no cave diver but I had some questions. I know you guys said you are NSS-CDS.

1. Are you guys diving wet?

2. Are those steel 104s?

3. I noticed in one of the photos, that the SPG was clipped to the reel. Is that normal?

4. In the pic with the guy in the air bubble, I noticed he had is reg turned 180 different than mine. Is there an advantage to doing that? On mine, it made all the hose bends too sharp. I see he has Zeagle regs so maybe it's different on those.

Thanks. I'm just trying to learn as I get ready to start my cave training soon.

I have no intentions of diving solo in a cave. That was completely his decision. I will neither defend it or admonish it here as he is not on scuba board.

PerroneFord:
I'm no cave diver but I had some questions. I know you guys said you are NSS-CDS.

1. Are you guys diving wet?

2. Are those steel 104s?

3. I noticed in one of the photos, that the SPG was clipped to the reel. Is that normal?

4. In the pic with the guy in the air bubble, I noticed he had is reg turned 180 different than mine. Is there an advantage to doing that? On mine, it made all the hose bends too sharp. I see he has Zeagle regs so maybe it's different on those.

Thanks. I'm just trying to learn as I get ready to start my cave training soon.

1) No, we're diving dry

2) Yes, those are 104's

3) No, it isn't. I must have missed the D-ring and it just landed on my jump reel (my saftey spool is in my pocket). But that's okay, I would have noticed it next time I checked my pressure or went for that reel. What's funny is when you accidently clip your SPG onto your deco bottle, drop your deco bottle on the line and start to swim off only to get as far as your HP hose.

4) I've never looked real closely at his hose routing so I can't comment but all his hoses go down so I've no problem with it.

Thanks, that clears some things up. I was looking at the suit and I didn't see an exhaust valve. I'm not used to seeing neoprene drysuits. :)

I'd be somewhat concerned on the solo thing. Like I said, I'm not a cave diver, but I think I'd want to know if my buddy had different feelings about solo diving in that environment. I'd probably be nervous as hell if my buddy decided to solo and leave me alone in a cave. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying how I'd feel.

Thanks for answering my questions. Lessons for the future for me. :)

PerroneFord:
Thanks, that clears some things up. I was looking at the suit and I didn't see an exhaust valve. I'm not used to seeing neoprene drysuits. :)

I'd be somewhat concerned on the solo thing. Like I said, I'm not a cave diver, but I think I'd want to know if my buddy had different feelings about solo diving in that environment. I'd probably be nervous as hell if my buddy decided to solo and leave me alone in a cave. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying how I'd feel.

Thanks for answering my questions. Lessons for the future for me. :)

That's the DUI CF200 suit, same as a trilam suit (no compressibility). It has an exhaust in the std place, just isn't in the photos.

Why should I be concerned? He is a good buddy, very aware of his environment and we've done quite a few cave dives together. It was his decision and his solo diving in no way affects my safety. I am concerned but for him, not me. I was sitting comfortably on the boat when he did his solo dive (he didn't just take off and leave me in the cave on my own). He is a very safe diver and I wouldn't dive with him were it otherwise.

Ultimately it's a risk/rewards judgement. For him, any additonal risks are worth it. Many would argue that solo cave diving is actually safer. Either way, it is solely his decision and after expressing my inital concerns to him and playing a round of what-if, there is nothing more for me to do and I'll not consider him reckless because he chooses to solo dive just as I don't want someone to consider me reckless because I cave dive.

Hey guys,
Looks like a nice weekend of diving at Twin.
Glad to hear that all went well.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and dive descriptions.
Was the neighborhood crowded with the convention going on?

Rand- ‘Al’ is always a willing dive buddy when writing up reviews.
Diving solo in any environment is challenging and a personal choice like you said.
I don’t expect anyone to follow me into certain places.:D

Nice report mate.
Andrew

Of course, I forgot the "Al" convention :)

Anyhoo, the pond was not busy at all, I think everyone was in the Live Oak area for the convention.

Back
Top Bottom