Marine Biology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my roomate graduated in marine bio the year before I was to finish. As I've posted before, his only two job offers were to count polychaetes in mobile bay or dead dolphins on a tuna boat. Instead of taking the jobs, he headed to grad school for a masters in environmental engineering.

I couldn't afford to stick around for a Ph.D., and a masters in marine bio seemed to be "stopping too soon." I went the geology and geophysics route on top of the marine science degree. I love what I do, and it's been very rewarding, but sometimes wish I'd stuck it out.

About organic chemistry: some schools with strong pre-med programs use these classes to weed out the wannabe's. I toughed it out, but both organic and p-chem were no picnic. For years, I had nightmares about all those 5x7 note cards I memorized for organic (as someone said, it's mostly rote memorization and I never used it again). I think my organicI class started with 200 students and finished with some small fraction of that number. Quant was even hard, but that was because some of the pre-med frat boys kept screwing with the other students (A students) labs, trying to get their grades scaled up.

The very toughest class I took was cell bio. I had the highest average in class going into the final, with a "C". My roomie had a "D". He took the bio dept. secretary out on a date and got the ACTUAL final a day early. He stayed up all night working on it. I refused to look.

After the test, I had a "D" and he managed to squeak a "C". Because we were on a 3.0 quality pt. system, my D was the same as an F in my major. I had to re-take it. Until that time, I had a 2.9/3.0. It sucked big time. I hated the arrogant prof, who refused to scale. I thought about filing a grievance, but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Just to be clear. Are you recommending this organization from personal experience or are you flogging a program that you are part of?

I am currently doing my PhD in Marine Biology at the moment and I have worked as a Marine biologist all over the world previously without it. If you are just starting college it is more important that you choose subjects you enjoy and can get good grades in. There are plenty of Marine biologists with other degrees such as maths or geography who have switched at graduate level. To decide if it is what you want to do you should volunteer and write to people who are working in the field you are interested in (for example working on Coral reefs) and see if you can intern for them. Ask specific questions and be keen and they are more then likely to say yes or at least point you in the direction of someone else who will.

What do you know about Macroboispheare??

E.L.7*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am currently doing my PhD in Marine Biology at the moment and I have worked as a Marine biologist all over the world previously without it. If you are just starting college it is more important that you choose subjects you enjoy and can get good grades in. There are plenty of Marine biologists with other degrees such as maths or geography who have switched at graduate level. To decide if it is what you want to do you should volunteer and write to people who are working in the field you are interested in (for example working on Coral reefs) and see if you can intern for them. Ask specific questions and be keen and they are more then likely to say yes or at least point you in the direction of someone else who will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom