Marine Biology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The URI program has some great people, especially Stan Cobb. The Naval Academy is, well ... the Naval Academy, a very different experience that may not be the ideal environment for every student. It does have some significant advantages, not the least of which is the very low tuition, but it is highly selective. Having an oceanography major at Annapolis would be worlds apart from studying Marine Biology at Kingston and Narragansett. It all depends on what your boy is looking for.

Just remember the Jimmy Buffett song:

I was supposed to have been a Jesuit priest or a Naval Academy grad
That was the way that my parents perceived me
Those were the plans that they had
Though I couldn't fit the part too dumb or too smart
Ain't it funny how we all turned out
I guess we are the people our parents warned us about

You know I could have worked the rigs when the money was big Or hopped a freighter south to Trinidad
And when they tried to draft me I earned a college degree
Buyin' time till things were not so bad
But when I got a guitar found a job in a bar, playin' acid rock til I was numb
Tell me where are the flashbacks they all warned us would come.

We are the people they couldn't figure out
We are the people our parents warned us about

Hey hey, Gardner McKay, take us on the leaky Tiki with you
Clear skies bound for Shanghai, sailin' on the ocean blue

Now I got quarters in my loafers tryin' to fight inflation
When it only used to take a cent
Sometimes I wish I was back in my crashpad days before I knew what cash flow meant

Seems everybody's joggin' or heavy into health ****
Don't tell me that I ought to get rolffed

'Cause I love cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf

We are the people there isn't any doubt
We are the people they still can't figure out
We are the people who love to sing "Twist and Shout"
(Shake it up, Baby now)
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Well I survived my first day of class. :) Whats great is my class is only on Tuesday and Thursday, but they're hours long though. :shakehead: Sometimes I would see my instructor come over and try and wake me up but I'm fully awake to find I was actually sleeping. :11: But I'm getting used to the time now so hopefully tomorrow will be better and get more better soon. :D

The husband of my wife's best friend teaches at Annapolis. (He's a marine engineer and retired commercial diver). Annapolis is a different world. Like the man said, some are made for it, some are not...

back in 1979 I started college as a Marine Bio major at Richard Stockton College NJ, after 2 years I came to realize, if I wanted a job when I graduated I needed a MS, and really should work on a PHD. I changed majors, became a Comp sci major and never looked back. The only regret was not getting Scuba certified and taking my CG 100 ton license when I had the hours. AH well, took me 25 years and 3 kids to get my OW cert ....now about the rules of the road.

I got some GREAT news. I can still go get a Biology major with a minor in Enviromental Science. The only thing stopping me is the stupid organic Chemistry class. Any suggestions?

Take at a community college (usually Chem 5) during the summer, that way the grade will not go into your GPA, but the credits will transfer.

Yes, take the Organic Chemistry like the other Biology majors.:D

There's only ONE organic chemistry class?! What a jip.

Go the Biology route. You should get a markedly superior education than that foo-foo Environmental thingie.

YES!!! THANK GOODNESS There is just ONE!!! organic chem class. If there is one class I HATE! HATE HATE more then anything in the world. Its Organic Chem class.

Oh, you have prior experience with Organic? Did you not complete it or get a crappy grade the first time around? Join the crowd man, join the crowd.:cheers:

I had to take Organic II twice. Got a D the first time and a C the second. I never did better than a C in any of my chemistry classes, now that I think about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom