Marine Conservation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbuK

Registered
Reaction score
I have gone from being a relative land lubber to a diver of much conviction. In 8 months I have logged 120 dives and plan to continue until such time as I leave these shores.

What has struck in such a short amount of time is how this coastline is being and has been ravaged by man. Critics may justifiably attack me, as what can one tell in 8 months, yet when one dives in areas outside of Jeddah the difference is clear in the presence of pelagics. Whilst they can be seen in Jeddah their appearance is rare, once outside Jeddah they become more 'common'.

Yet talking about pelagic fish in the context of being common is a misnomer. Diving with tanks and spearguns has ravaged the population in and around Jeddah, not just amoung the groupers (Red Sea grouper (Najil in Arabic) being the most popular), but also Napoleon wrasse and perhaps most worryingly sharks, killed solely for the 'sport '. As a result people are driving further out of town to go 'hunting', seeing nothing wrong in spear fishing with tanks and the annihilation spreads.

How does one go about seeking assistance for the establishment of marine parks and conservation areas? What studies of existing populations can be done? What impact would farming have? Is UN or other NGO Assistance forthcoming?

The Red Sea as a resource for food can never be altered, nor should it, but it does require careful and considerate management and from this location of the sea the resource as such for tourists or consumers is being fast depleted.

Change needs to be engendered through education and come from within, a ground swell, a popular voice. In this country any change is difficult, but with the right information, allies and contacts anything is possible, anywhere.

Peace and love to ya'll and thanks in advance for any suggestions

AbuK once bubbled...

Change needs to be engendered through education and come from within, a ground swell, a popular voice. In this country any change is difficult, but with the right information, allies and contacts anything is possible, anywhere.

I used to think so too, until George W. Bush "won" the 2000 presidential election in the US.

We need leaders of vision who understand that something must be done to conserve our resources for posterity. We need leaders who are capable of understanding that all living things on earth are interconnected in a delicate chain. We need leaders who make doing the right thing a priority over doing the profitable, or the popular or the expeditious thing. Unfortunately, we tend not to like such people. Activists are not warm and likeable. (sigh)

There are plenty of organizations in the UK that you could devote your efforts too. go to a search engine and type in +conservation +ocean +uk and I'm sure you'll come back with a glut of hits.

Thanks for the suggestion. The area that I am looking to try and provide conservation for is the Saudi coast of the Red Sea, the UK in general is quite good at conservation of our endangered species, if only we English could wean ourselves from the staple of cod & chips it may even work!

As to your comments on the detestable Dubya, fortunately this is diving forum otherwise I'd wax lyrical in my empathy for all you good Americans who have had your elections rigged to bring in the greatest threat to world peace since Mr H.

Some activists are very warm and likeable, try reading (I don't wish to sound condescending) Arundhati Roy - she is awesome.

Take care o' you and thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom