Marine life response to hurricane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprojeff

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We recently saw the evacuation of 2.5+ million people in just a small sector of the total lifecycle of hurricane Fran.
Does anyone have any info or can you site any studies that explain the reactions of marine creatures to the wrath of hurricane force winds, surge, debris fields of coral breaking up, etc.?

Hurricanes bring along massive and near-instantaneous shifts in salinity and water temperature for the upper photic zones. It gets cold and more fresh, basically. Tropical reef biota are poorly adapted for this sort of thing... actually they're not really adapted for it, period. So the animals that don't run for deeper water get the big screw, meaning they either die or get stressed.

Physical surge and debris effects are most damaging on shallow forereefs, and do the worst number on branching corals. As if they weren't in enough trouble without that nasty disease going around.

Massive corals can be broken off from the reef bioherm and tossed around to crash into other marine life. A quick and dirty tool I use to note down hurricane damage on reefs is to look for sea fans. The presence of many small ones can be indicative of a hurricane no more than a few years past.

Gorgonians simply get ripped off their holdfasts and blown onshore. Sea fans are especially susceptible, as their body orientation faces directly into current.

I've seen several hurricane damaged reefs, and it ain't pretty. If the climatologists are correct with their long term predictions, it'll be something to get used to in the Caribbean.

i agree with archman. there is plenty of literature on the effects of hurricanes on reef systems. the reef isn't just damaged structurally by the high energy waves that pound it, it's also damaged biologically because of the sudden drop in salinity levels (among other factors).
the remarkable thing about reefs is that having been around for centuries, they can recover from such large scale damage as hurricanes and typhoons. if they've been able to persist is those areas that are periodically struck and damaged, chances are, they're adapted to that kind of stress. (e.g. more massive corals in high surge areas).
almost analogous to forest fires, with our concerns over loss of biodiversity, etc. but eventually we learned that it's part of the natural cycle of the forests.
however, if you add more negative stresses (e.g. overfishing, disease, bleaching... the list is long...) you're sort of weakening the ability of the reef to recover. and there's where the danger (and the challenge for us) lies. it truly is a heavy blow to see a reef so heavily damaged, especially since we have precious few pristine reefs left.

Thanks for the info fellow divers!! Can you site any reference materials I can look at pertaining to this topic? I'm curious as to reef life in shallow to medium depth waters being able to sense oncoming events due to pressure drops, etc. Kind of wanting to compare to the reactions you hear about by some land animals that sense the on set of earthquakes, tornados,etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom