Mask and snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone, and thank you all for your answers, i've read them all but too many to reply individually.

Clearly there's pro's n cons about the different snorkels and right now i'm actually even a little more confused haha..but, i think i will go for the simple J one at first.

I plan to do most of my dives in Mediterranean (off the coast of Tel Aviv) and in Eilat (red sea) and initially i will be doing more shore dives than boat dives, especially in Eilat where it's quite common (i hear) to snorkel out as the reef etc is very close to shore.
So i will buy the simple one, regular J without the dry feature and floppyness (bendable) etc. and hopefully it will be ok. I am not a free diver or anything like that either, just a complete newbie looking to buy something suitable for my level and location of dives...

Regarding mask, yep, definitely need a good fit. Thanks for the tip about clear vs black also!

Finding so much help on this board it's really great (i admit becoming kinda addicted...) :eek:)

A couple of points I'd like to add . . . One is that, at least in our area, if you need bifocal lenses fitted to your mask, you must have one with two separate lenses.

The other is MY take on mask fit. I don't like checking it by having someone breathe in through their nose. If you suck hard enough, you can make almost any mask stick. I prefer to put the mask on my face and push gently on it until the skirt deforms a little. If I let go (and don't let any air out my nose) the mask should remain on my face without the strap. If it doesn't, it will leak.

A couple of points I'd like to add . . . One is that, at least in our area, if you need bifocal lenses fitted to your mask, you must have one with two separate lenses.

The other is MY take on mask fit. I don't like checking it by having someone breathe in through their nose. If you suck hard enough, you can make almost any mask stick. I prefer to put the mask on my face and push gently on it until the skirt deforms a little. If I let go (and don't let any air out my nose) the mask should remain on my face without the strap. If it doesn't, it will leak.

Thanks!
Ok so you put the mask on dry i assume, with your head tilted back/forward?
SOrry for silly question, but i honestly don't know any other real way to check the mask, only heard of the - head tilted forward, put on w/out strap, breathe in through nose...but you are right, most masks will stick when breathing in through the nose.

I don't need lenses made or anything, just need a mask that will be comfortable, fit well and not take a week to clear out in the water (small but with good visibility).

I generally try not to use snorkels whenever possible. I am a PADI divemaster so I do have a "pocket" snorkel that is out of the way when I am divemastering. The kind of diving I do most frequently (boat, quarry, and tech) does not require a snorkel. If you do become lost on the surface after a boat dive surface signaling equipment will serve you much better than any snorkel (I carry a 6ft bright orange surface marker buoy, a power whistle, and multiple lights). As far as swimming back to shore, most popular dive sites around here are 8-10+ miles from shore, good luck! Its a much better idea to flow with the current so any searchers can use that as a method to triangulate your position. Snorkels DO come in handy for the rare shore diving I do but I've never noticed a huge difference between simple one and more complexs dry ones with vents. Even if you were using a dry snorkel, you still need to learn to clear it when switching from reg to snorkel and back. Like many people I learned to snorkel years before taking up scuba diving so I know it well but I believe it to be location specific equipment.

As far as free diving, I do that without a snorkel too. I'm not a frequent freediver but don't the pros go without snorkels also? I'm perfectly happy going without a breath for 2+ min at a time so I guess its a personal choice...

Just my 2 cents, dive safe!

I generally try not to use snorkels whenever possible. I am a PADI divemaster so I do have a "pocket" snorkel that is out of the way when I am divemastering. The kind of diving I do most frequently (boat, quarry, and tech) does not require a snorkel. If you do become lost on the surface after a boat dive surface signaling equipment will serve you much better than any snorkel (I carry a 6ft bright orange surface marker buoy, a power whistle, and multiple lights). As far as swimming back to shore, most popular dive sites around here are 8-10+ miles from shore, good luck! Its a much better idea to flow with the current so any searchers can use that as a method to triangulate your position. Snorkels DO come in handy for the rare shore diving I do but I've never noticed a huge difference between simple one and more complexs dry ones with vents. Even if you were using a dry snorkel, you still need to learn to clear it when switching from reg to snorkel and back. Like many people I learned to snorkel years before taking up scuba diving so I know it well but I believe it to be location specific equipment.

As far as free diving, I do that without a snorkel too. I'm not a frequent freediver but don't the pros go without snorkels also? I'm perfectly happy going without a breath for 2+ min at a time so I guess its a personal choice...

Just my 2 cents, dive safe!
Even though I was "ranting", I have to agree....when I dive on charter boats off of Palm Beach, I do not have my snorkel with me...If I went out with a private boater ( not likely) I might take my snorkel with me, as the reefs are less than 2.5 miles from shore over most of Palm Beach, and there is no reef I could not swim back comfortably from.

If I shore dive, I will have a snorkel....If I dive off of Fort pierce where the reefs and wrecks are 25 miles out, I am shoving my 1 man Halcyon life Raft in my mc Storage Pouch behind my back....I also would have the snorkel tucked in to a pocket.

A good mask will "suction cup" to your face, so no, you won't have to tilt your head back. Unfortunately, it takes many divers a lot of mask shopping to find that perfect mask. It's sometimes a multi-year experience.
Every scuba shop you go in to, try on all of their masks. You may find that your perfect mask you already own is subpar compared to another one.

#1 thing about snorkels: Ease of breathing. All other factors are secondary. I think you will regret not getting a dry snorkel, though. With a dry snorkel, you don't have to worry about being slightly too deep and inhaling a lung full of water when your tip submerges.

I have to go with danvolker on this one. Get a quality freedive snorkel. Even if the primary purpose it to get scuba certified, why limit yourself?

There are a lot of reefs where it doesn't even make sense to use scuba due to being too shallow, and you could snorkel it for hours with no deco obligations.

Comfort and performance. The two go hand in hand.

Proper fitting gear means more enjoyment in the water. Get what is best for you for your type of diving conditions.

I tend to tilt my head forward slightly or just look straight. Ask at the shop to help you out with any additional questions. I go to a few shops and try on masks by gently pushing on my face. If it forms a slight suction, then it may fit. I then check for field of view and optical clarity. The final check for proper fit is in a swimming pool in case you have to return it. I have masks with single and multiple lens as well as with and without purge. I like single lens the best, but 2 lens may be better if the lens is closer to your eyes for lower volume and better field of view. I use SEADIVE TruVu Rayblockers. SEADIVE TruVu Rayblockers - Google Search Great masks for long surface swims in the bright California sunshine and good optical clarity underwater for our low Vis conditions.

I use a large bore fresh air breathing semidry snorkel. Great for working out in the Pacific Ocean. I have the Aqualung Impulse 3 Aqualung Impulse 3 - Google Search. in both flex and rigid. Best selling snorkel on the market. California and Hawaii freedivers use whatever snorkel we like from the simple camouflage J-tubes to a humongous yellow top semidry like mine. Check DeeperBlue for suggested snorkels. SpearBoard California section also has some comments on snorkels like the Riffe Stable. http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=137950&highlight=Riffe+Stable
We can have somewhat rough and unpredictable conditions for Northern California. The Impulse 3 has a top divertor if in rough windy conditions with water washing overhead there is less of a chance of getting saltwater in the top tube then mouth. The flex mouthpiece falls away from the face when we spit the snorkel out for freediving. The rigid does not oscillate when moving through the water if swimming fast. The comfo-bite mouthpiece is good for those that tend to clench or chew on their mouthpiece for less jaw fatigue. Same mouthpiece as one of my Reg sets. There is also a lower divertor with valve to minimize saltwater in the tube from entering mouth. I also have a TUSA Platina hyperdry that works well. tusa platina hyperdry - Google Search

There are essentially 3 types of snorkels: simple J-tube, semidry, and dry. A dry snorkel may interfere with breathing since it may close off too often. Most freedivers spit the snorkel out when submerging and surface with their head out of water unless we want to keep an eye on something. Then just place the snorkel back in mouth at surface with head out of water or still underwater. Children can run into problems if taught that they must keep the snorkel in their mouth and forcefully exhale to clear rather than simply raising their head out of the water. Of course in rough conditions, it may be better to keep the snorkel in your mouth at the surface.

Use whatever is the best for comfort and performance for your type of conditions. I do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom