Mask Clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was very scared of doing the mask removel and replace and clear. Well my instructors said to first flood the mask before pulling it off so I don't get the gush of water up my nose then take a deep breath and remove the mask then make sure your chin is tucked down and then when it is time to replace the mask put it on then tip your head back while blowing through your nose. It worked and I did complete all the skills and I now enjoy diving very much.

PS: Now any advice on holding breath for 50' underwater!!!! [/B]

Hi!

I have found it is easiest to move underwater if I take a copule of deep breaths, then a final big one before I go underwater. Then I use deliberate, strong strokes, kick like a frog, and blow out a small but steady stream of bubbles. I can get much further this way, by not truly holding my breath. Good luck

Kimmie

I know this is an old but interesting and obviously perennial problem(mask clearing and associated fears). What caught my attention was the scuba bailout. I have to do that soon with air off 2nd stage purged. I'm trying to understand what the original idea was for doing this skill set?

JBD,

It's designed to let you know you can handle emergencies, that you are competent with your equipment. It is a confidence builder, one that after you've mastered it will decrease your chances of panic while diving. We used to teach it air off with a purged regulator, but now it's strictly an air on skill.

Why are you doing it with air off? What agency is requiring it? or is this an instructor's requirement? What class are you taking?

This is a surprisingly easy skill even with air off and regulator purged. Follow my description on page 2(?), but immediately after placing your regulator in your mouth, put your dominate hand on the valve and turn on the tank. You'll be holding your breath to begin (not on compressed air, so it's ok) so you won't need to breathe immediately. As soon as the valve is cracked, you'll be able to breathe. Take your time and open the valve all the way.

HTH,

WWW™

NAUI is the agency and this is a printed requirement as opposed to instructor requirement(air off regulator purged)

Once all the equipment is on the student makes a normal ascent and then tread water for 5 minutes without using BC or scuba or snorkel.

Originally posted by King_Neptune
jennifer,
Many a time Someone has KICKED off my mask on accident especially when ....

I am sorry about this, but this sort of comment really hacks me off. I have done 5000 dives and NEVER had anyone kick my mask off, even panicking students.

When I staff IDCs I actively discourage this contact for mask removal, as then the student thinks that this is a regular event. IT IS NOT!

A better contact for mask removal is to remove your hood because it is too warm.

I have found that the easiest way for people to remove their mask and then replace them is before any skills are done in the pool, get your students to stand in waist deep water and with their gear on & regulators in their mouths (without masks on) bend over and put their heads in the water and breathe off the reg.

When they have done this for a minute, you bring them up and tell them that this was the HARDEST skill in the whole course and they have successfully completed it.

when the mask removal skill comes up in what ever module it occurs in, get them to do the skill again and prove it was not a fluke. Armed with loads of confidence 95% of my students remove and replace the mask first time.

The mask R & R is a recurring theme and handled with empathy can be overcome with the minimum of fuss.

Hi all,

I am brand new to this group and just found you about an hour ago because I was told by my fiance (not even me) that our instructor has told him that I need at least two more pool sessions before he will ok me for my open water. My fiance has had only 3 pool sessions and he is apparently good to go.

The main issue seems to be that I appear to not be confident enough in my skills. The instuctor has admitted that I performed all my skills exceptionally well and my mask clearing was ok. Apparently what my problem is is that, while my fiance appears totally comforatable with all of his skills, I seemd to make the mistake of asking too many questions and stating my questions in a way that made me appear to be very uncomfortable.

It is ironic that it was not until I asked a lot of very specific questions that the instructor suggest exercises similar to the ones mentioned here. This instructor teaches in more of a monky see monky do kind of way which I think works for most men and does not work for most women.

Don't get me wrong, I was actually planning to do to another pool session just because I am a very thorough person and want every thing to go without a hitch at my OWD. My problem is that I feel I am being labeled as possible panuic case because I asked questions in the "wrong" way.

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all of the posts discussing mask clearing because it shows me that I am not a weak skittish little girl for wanting more specific instruction regarding this matter.

P.S. if anyone has ever had to go to a diving instruction and been completely pissd off at the instructor and had to get through the session with extream skill and confidence eventhough you want to scream,, please tell me how you did it because I have to do it in less than 3 hours.:upset:

Nicki,

if you are unhappy with your instructor ask him for a referral, he's obliged to give you one describing precisely what you have accomplished and what needs to be done and go and find yourself someone else.

What is good for someone might be horrible for someone else, even if that "else" is your fiancé.

Diving is fun, as PADI says, if you feel uncomfortable it doesn't necessarily mean you are the one to blame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom