Mask Fitting Procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

House01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did some searching and could not find much on this topic beyond comments like "make sure it fits" or "the best mask is the one that doesn't leak".

When I walk into my local dive shop, how should I go about finding that good fit, no leak mask?

Ten years ago my LDS had me do the following:
1. Place the mask on your face and tilt your head back so it sits there.
2. Sniff in as lightly as possible to see if air comes through any gaps.
3. While not sniffing, have someone look for any gaps between the outside edge of the skirt and your skin.
4. Check for comfort and view.

Last weekend I started doing this in a shop and the owner asked what I was up to. She said to do the following instead:
1. Lightly hold the mask to your face with your hands.
2. Look in a mirror to see if the inside edge of the mask skirt seals with your skin.
3. Have someone look for any gaps on the outside edge of the skirt.
4. Check for comfort and view.

The mask that was looking good to me wasn't even close on the inside skirt edge seal test. In fact, we never got to step three with any of the models they had. She sent me to another shop 20 miles away and I tried their masks on. The guy used similar procedures and told me I should try a shop to the south. It was closing time, so I headed home.

I'm thankful for their honesty, but that rules out most of the masks from Akona, Aqualung, Sherwood, Tusa and a few others.

Should I really be able to find a mask that seals to my face without pressure on both the inside and outside edge of the skirt? If I can't, what is they most important thing to look for?

My next stop will be a shop that caries Atomic, Dive Rite, Mares, and Oceanic.

One more thing. I'm not a germ phobic person, but after sticking my nose in the same spot that many other people have put there noses I started to wonder if this was a good idea four weeks out from a dive trip. Do you do anything to sterilize the mask before you try it on, or your nose after you are finished?

Thanks

Place mask on face...do not use strap........make sure mask is not pressing on bridge of nose and is comfortable.
Look forward as you Inhale slightly through nose
If mask seals and stays put as you look down without any further assistance to keep it in place it is a good fit.
No need for anyone to look for gaps or to look in a mirror.

I'm a tough fit, and just bought an Atomic frameless. I hope it fits as well diving as it seemed to in the store. Also, try fitting the mask with a regulator in your mouth. It makes a difference.

yep, that's what i was gonna say - remember to keep your mouth open a good bit, like a reg's in there. many folks have deep folds near their mouths that really show up when their mouths are opened & that creates a leak in a mask.

I can (gently) suck a number of masks onto my face that don't actually fit if I hit the water with them (some will still leak). If you can't suck a mask onto your face, it tells you it's too big. Being able to suck one on doesn't tell you a mask will fit, only that it isn't too large. The suck test can rule masks out, but cannot alone definitely rule masks in.

I just bought my 3rd mask and it is the best I have ever had. I used the suction method and it fit so well that when I stopped sucking in it stayed sealed to my face without the strap. I took it on a dive this weekend and it fit so well, that I kinda forgot it was on my face!! It is an Aqualung TechniSub micro mask. I love it!!!

I was looking at this thread for exactly the same advice you are looking for. My mask is actually too big, but it passes all of the usual 'tests'. The rub comes when I have a regulator in my mouth: the mask tends to jam up under my nose and then it gets uncomfortable. I finally figured out what was wrong when I saw pictures of myself and my son underwater: his mask fits great and mine even looks too big.

So I think one more test to add is to actually have a snorkel or something in your mouth to see how the mask fits then.

I just bought my 3rd mask and it is the best I have ever had. I used the suction method and it fit so well that when I stopped sucking in it stayed sealed to my face without the strap. I took it on a dive this weekend and it fit so well, that I kinda forgot it was on my face!! It is an Aqualung TechniSub micro mask. I love it!!!

I'm interested in the micro mask, but non of my local shops stock it. If I don't find a mask I like, I might order one to check it out and eat the shipping if it doesn't work.

It's odd to me that two dive shops have looked at the inner skirt edge, but no one hear suggests it.

my masks only leaks when I'm laughing underwater. Then that causes me to laugh even more.

But seriously, the best way to check is the slight inhalation method, with the mask on your face, sans strap. Your local DS should let you try them in the pool, too. Most will let you bring them back after the first dive, as long as they're in like new condition, if there is a leakage or comfort issue.

Also, while wearing, you don't have to crank the mask strap down until your eyes are bulging out. You should actually be able to pull the mask about 1/2 inch away from your face, just be stretching the strap.

Back
Top Bottom