Mask prescription + bifocal needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaCayZee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My intent at this time is to add an Optx ....Reading lens to my current mask prescription lens. (Plan to by a new mask/prescription lenses with prescription bifocal later.)

My question is what additional bifocal lens power is needed? :idk:

OD prescription is -0.75. Lens in mask is 1.5. Bifocal prescription is +2.75.
What additional magnification is needed?

Thanks,

SCZ

What's the OS Rx?

Or do you have vision in only one eye?

Or do you only have one eye?

Based on the Rx you provide for your right eye, your Rx is being overcorrected in the mask by -0.75 Diopters, assuming that by "1.5" you really mean -1.50 Diopters, therefore you need to add that on top of the +2.75 bifocal rx (which is fairly strong, especially if you aren't close to age 65) to give you a needed reading rx, aka "add" aka bifocal rx of +3.50.

However the odds are you are not going to need that much magnification while diving.

Another question arises as to why you are using a mask with an Rx of -1.50 Diopers in the first place? If you have a dive with some clear visibility you're going to be blurred at distance, and you might even get a whopping headache trying to focus through that additional power.

Hello idocsteve,

Thanks for the info.
Here is some additional info:

OD spherical: -0.75, Cyl: -1.5. Info I have for selecting lens is spherical + half of the cyl.
OS " : -0.25, Cyl: -2.5. Computes to the same for mask lens.
OS bifocal prescription is +2.25

Understand what you mean by 'fairly strong if not close to age 65' but just started drawing my social security checks. Please make sure you keep your job and pay your taxes......my retirement and social security need it.

Again, thank you for the info.

Best diving.

Hello idocsteve,

Thanks for the info.
Here is some additional info:

OD spherical: -0.75, Cyl: -1.5. Info I have for selecting lens is spherical + half of the cyl.
OS " : -0.25, Cyl: -2.5. Computes to the same for mask lens.
OS bifocal prescription is +2.25

Understand what you mean by 'fairly strong if not close to age 65' but just started drawing my social security checks. Please make sure you keep your job and pay your taxes......my retirement and social security need it.

Again, thank you for the info.

Best diving.

OD spherical equivalent is -1.50
OS spherical equivalent is -1.50 but you're still going to be quite blurred with all that astigmatism.

OD bifocal Rx is +2.75
OS bifocal Rx is +2.25

Split adds are rare, sounds like a mistake, but assuming it isn't then with the updated information you provided the magnification should be +2.75 OD and +2.25 OS

My suggestion is to get toric contact lenses to wear for driving, you might like them so much you'll wear them when you're not diving, and throw a +2.50 magnifier in the mask, either at the bottom or possibly in front of one eye for a monovision correction which will allow for distance and near vision. This is advice being given "off the record" and is for "entertainment purposes" and is not to be construed as medical advice.

Social Security is predicted to be bankrupt within 20 years. I'm paying into a system that won't be there for me when I need it.

I heard SeaVision makes some...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom