Mask Squeeze Causing Headache?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For the past ten or so dives I have been surfacing with a pretty bad headache, yesterday I noticed that the headache was exactly where the skirt hit my forehead. I did notice that there was a definite mask squeeze on the dive, I couldn't clear it however. This is not a low volume mask. Does anyone think a new, low volume, mask will make a difference?

Thanks!

I have been equalizing the pressure, or at least trying. Most of the time if just blowing through my nose doesn't work I can clear it by clearing it as if you had water in it.

Thanks,

A mask squeeze is caused by not equalizing the pressure. if you are equalizing the pressure, it's something else. If it's from the mask, a too tight mask strap is a probable cause. Mask straps are frequently too tight.

This is what I've been told by my LDS and so far has seemed to be OK. Tighten your mask so that it has just enough pressure to keep it from leaking on the surface. As you go deeper, there will be ample pressure to keep it from coming off. But, this doesn't mean that you won't still need to equalize the mask.

David

I have been equalizing the pressure, or at least trying. Most of the time if just blowing through my nose doesn't work I can clear it by clearing it as if you had water in it.

Thanks,

Adam,
It does sound as if you mask is too tight. It takes very little tension on a mask strap, and most people do wear their mask much too tight. :palmtree: Bob

Definately check your strap. people tend to move in the wrong direction with the mask tightness. It's tight, it leaks a little, they crank it more, it leaks more.

The strap should really just be there to keep it on your head when you get hit by a current or otherwise get bumped. The slight squeeze in the mask should be enough to keep it on your head. e.g. you should be able to stick your mask on, and then put your strap on without your mask falling off your face.

If it was an equalization issue, enough to cause pressure to hurt your forehead, it probably would have caused the capillaries in your eyes to pop [or at least enough that you would have noticed it]. Add that to the comment that you couldn't alleive the pressure, I'd guarantee your strap is too tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom