mask with side windows?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who has tried out a mask with side windows in the water? I have heard it causes weired refections. What do you think?

I dove with one for a while and retired it to the gear locker. For me it was too distracting. I have good peripheral vision and kept seeing "things" out of the side panels and ended up turning my head to try and get a better look. In the end it was just a sea fan or gorgonian waving with the current.

'Slogger

I like mine - it is less claustrophobic. My girlfriend tried it and didn't like the funhouse-mirror effect.

IMHO, too much glare and distortion. A few people convinced me to try a black skirted mask, and I doubt that I'll ever go back. The new Atomic frameless is ultra-low volume; and, coupled with the well designed window, gives you a great field of vision with no distortion. Aside from that, the special glass in the mask is incredibly clear, with no color distortion.

Note: I have no connection with, nor a vested interest in Atomic Aquatics.

the 'aquarium' style, multi-window, hi-volume masks. I've had three, they were all unsatisfactory.

You'll be happier with a low-volume, black skirt mask.

Thank you for your replies. Reefs are wild enough without adding a "funhouse factor"
:D

I'm in agreement with the black skirt, low volume mask crowd. I've tried a couple of side panel window models (both clear and dark colored skirts) and found things appearing and vanishing in my peripheral vision depending on how I turned my head. I much prefer my low volume black skirt mask.

I'll go your 2+2 and raise you two. I use the Mares ESA with 6 panels.

Not for the beginner, but rewards those who can deal with it. Would never go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom