Masks...my pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sergio Buonanno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Due to the specific conformation of my eye I'm having problems with all the masks I've been using so far. Sealing is never perfect and I continuously suffer from leaks on both sides of the mask near the eyes. I have tried almost all Mares' masks without success.

Is there anybody who can give me some hints, or maybe tell me where to find masks for faces larger than normal ?

I'm tired to waste money for masks that do not solve my problem.

When you try on a mask, get away from the salesperson. Be in a well lit area, and if you're looking at a dark skirt mask, bring a flashlight.

Find a mirror. Hold one of the masks to where it will sit on your face. Do NOT put the strap on. Gently inhale. If it sticks, on to Step 2.

Now, without holding the mask and while still gently inhaling it on, look at the inside of the mask. There should be an inner skirt- does it lay flat all around? My trouble spot is at my temple.

Good luck- I'm mask shopping now, too!

After 6 masks I found one that fits my big head. Scubapro.frameless. It is a no frills mask been around forever. Try one if you can.

Take heart, Sergio... I went through a dozen or so of multiple brands prior to finding a mask that worked for me, including Mares, Atomic, Ocean Master, Scubapro, and others.
Tardigrade offers good advice (particularly on losing the salesman).

In case you're interested, I finally settled on the SeaVision Ultra. It seems to fit a number of "tough-to-fit" faces.

The quest for the "perfect mask" never ends. Each time I am in a shop waiting around, I try on masks. When you find a good candidate, ask the shop if you can try it in a pool. 3/4 of the local shops in my area have an onsite pool.

I have had my best luck with Scubapro masks. Tried the Frameless but not quite right. I can get a good seal only if the mask sits lower than where it really wants to be. Ended up with the Crystalview (I know its a much higher volume mask but it doesn't leak nearly as much on my face as other masks).

...trying to fit a mask over the internet isn't easy, all I can say is I have an Atomic Aquatics 'single lens' mask as part of my save-a-dive kit, and I've loaned it out on trips to several different divers (male and female) who had problems with their own masks (lost / leaks / didn't fit) and every person who's borrowed my Atomic has loved it, so it seems to be something of a 'universal fit' mask. Also, be advised Atomic has (2) sizes of this mask, so try them both.

As a dive guide,I use the Atomic ClearVu mask for it's fit & clear vision. Unfortunately it was recently donated to the Philippine sea off the coast of Peleliu at The Express dive site. Now I'm using some Aqualung (POS) given to me by the dive shop.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

When trying on a mask, I was told to lay it on your face while looking up. If the mask does not contact your face all the way around, it will have a better chance of leaking. Another thing to look for is if your eyebrows are under the inner skirt. Another problem area is from the cheeks to the upper lip. People with pronounced cheeks can have a problem here. A friend of mine has this problem and wears a mask with a firmer skirt. Look at the amount of your upper lip that is covered by the skirt as well. My biggest problem is when I find a mask that seems to fit right, the bottom of the nose cup will press against my nose when the skirt is high enough to be off my eyebrows. I have to look for a taller mask. Don't always think that a more expensive mask will fit better. My current mask is $30. My last one was $90. I still have a TUSA from 15 years ago that couldn't have cost more than $20. I don't use it based on the coloring. I prefer yellow and it is clear. Still a good mask though.

Yep. The Oceanic Pioneer is great for wide faces. A few bucks more than some, but your get ultraclear lenses. Love mine.

Take heart, Sergio... I went through a dozen or so of multiple brands prior to finding a mask that worked for me, including Mares, Atomic, Ocean Master, Scubapro, and others.
Tardigrade offers good advice (particularly on losing the salesman).

In case you're interested, I finally settled on the SeaVision Ultra. It seems to fit a number of "tough-to-fit" faces.

I agree that this is a great fit for many. Got one of these and it still leaked on me - it takes a lot of space to contain this amount of brains (or air space):D Oceanic Pioneer mask solved that - cool look too. Go all black if you want the Batman look :D

Back
Top Bottom