Matava Resort and Kai Viti Divers Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
Went to Fiji 6/24-7/9 and experienced mostly terrific diving, pretty bad food, and a most unwelcome development at Matava.
The first week was spent diving with Kai Viti Divers. They are a very well run dive op and picked us up promptly at 8:10 every morning. The rides out to the dive sites were around one hour each way. I have to say that I dived some of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen. Prolific tropicals of all species swimming around some of the most pristine hard and soft coral I have ever seen. At one time I was trying to shoot a pair of clownfish and was looking for an area of dead coral or rock where I could place a finger to gain some stability: there was none. Everything was alive and vibrant. The only day when the diving was subpar was when they decided not to venture out too far one day for some reason. There was a big drop in quality that day. The reef was pretty ragged and visibilty dropped. I have to say that frequently we encounted some pretty tricky currents, and perhaps some dives could have been managed better. All in all I would recommend Kai Viti and would use them again if I went back to Fiji.

We stayed at Bethams beach cottages and they were fine as well. Very reasonably priced rooms with cooking facilities and a fridge, but be ready for cold showers as there was no hot water. The food served there was rather bland and eventually I just went to Raki Raki and bought some food and cooked for myself (tuna, spaghetti etc.) Unfortunately, that stuff was very different from what I was used to as well so I just endured the food. At least I had my own coffee and french press ( I learned to bring that with me everywhere a long time ago).

The second week was spent at Matava on Kadavu. I thought that Kadavu was more lush and beautiful than Vita Levu, and one really gets a more authentic Fijian experience there IMO. The resort was very nice and the grounds were lush and the bures were very nice. Best of all, they had hot water. All the staff were very friendly. The food, however, went from bad (at Bethams) to worse. Breakfast consisted mostly of powdered milk with corn flakes and some toast. Lunch could be a bowl of a ramon noodle type soup with cut up veggies on top. Dinners were all very repetitive. One day I got food poisoned (along with 10 other guests). I was relegated to my bed for 24 hours throwing up with a fevor. Staff referred to the incident as "a stomach virus left behind by a child at the resort." After that incident i pretty much just ate what I had to to get by until the flight home out of fear of a reoccurrence.

Weather was not on our side that week as we had heavy cloud cover and strong winds. The first two day we were not able to get outside the reef and the diving inside was ok but not great. When we were able to get outside the diving improved greatly. The Astrolab reef is nice, but generally doesn't have the soft corals I saw with Kai viti. All the usual tropicals were there though.

All in all I would rate the diving better in the Bligh Waters than Kadavu and probably wouldn't go back. I would, however, return to the Bligh Waters. ANother thing of note was that there were strong currents and surge at Kadavu as well. Most of the reports I had read indicated that there wasn't much current there. Maybe it was a result of the weather pattern, but I experinced the stongest surge of my life in Kadavu (my mask was pressing into my head!). If anyone has any questions feel free to PM.

We dove at Taveuni/Raibow Reef and Kadavu in May/June this year.

At Kadavu, diving inside the reef was rather disappointing. There was some cool stuff to see, but not the world-class diving we were anticipating. Outside the reef was completely different: good visibility, amazing hard coral, cool formations, and some soft coral (but mostly the less colorful types). Some places had lots of small-medium fish (a big school of batfish was one highlight). A couple of small Napoleons, only one or two sharks. Some places had very few fish.

One drift dive at Naigoro Passage had some strong currents; some of the divers were uncomfortable and we all got pulled away from the wall at one point. The other dives were almost no current at all.

Tiliva resort was a great place with good food, but their diving staff could be better.

Diving on the Rainbow Reef was better than the Astrolabe: more color, maybe a little less hard coral, and more fish. Dives at Matei Point reef were good; dives on the Rainbow Reef were really great. The Great White Wall is awesome; great descent through a tunnel and very eerie & spooky on the wall.

Matei Pointe on Taveuni was wonderful and perfect, as long as you don't need 5-star luxury and A/C.

nikyyo,

Thanks for the report. I'm going to Fiji in September and I've decided to do my diving with Kai Viti Divers. It looks like I've made the right decision.

Thanks Nikyyo! Your report is most helpful! We rather be careful than sorry. We will think about you when we enjoy the blue, thankfully of course!

I have yet to go to Kadavu but the more I hear about it the less inclined I am (for diving per se at any rate). "Nothing special" is generally what comes back.

If anyone is going to dive with Kai Viti then stay at Wananavu Beach Resort (where they are based). MacDonalds, Bethams and Charlies (all on the same bay of Nananu-i-Ra) are run by incredibly-nice-yet-clueless people and are substandard. Nananu Island Lodge is far superior and has a much better dive shop, but then i would say that - I opened and managed it for 9 months!

rickydazla: I stayed at Bamboo Beach Resort on Nanaru-I-Ra June 2004. I know that it closed down. What is there now, if anything? Did Crystal Divers "go away" after Dan's unfortunate ordeal? Is Nananu Island Lodge the old BBR? We were there the week before the incident and dove with Crystal Divers. Sorry...so many questions????

CaribQueen:
rickydazla: I stayed at Bamboo Beach Resort on Nanaru-I-Ra June 2004. I know that it closed down. What is there now, if anything? Did Crystal Divers "go away" after Dan's unfortunate ordeal? Is Nananu Island Lodge the old BBR? We were there the week before the incident and dove with Crystal Divers. Sorry...so many questions????

The vast portion of Nananu-i-Ra was freehold land and at the start of the year was bought by developers aligned with the Hilton group. Nananu Island Lodge is an eco-style backpackers and has always been on this land. Bamboo (or Mokusigas as it was known before that) was on land adjacent. Bamboo has had caretaker managers since its closing (Dan's wife Alisi still runs her boat as a separate enterprise) and in the last month or so the developers also purchased Bamboo and are now reopening it along much the same lines as previously. Who will run the diving is still up for debate...

Hi all,

I have a new favourite spot in Fiji. My first trip to Fiji was honeymoon diving at The Coral Coast (everyone's gotta start somewhere!) That was where the love affair with Fiji began. Since then, I've run 6 trips to Kadavu (diving at Matava Resort; Dive Kadavu and Nagigia Island); 2 trips to Wananavu, Raki Raki; and 2 trips to Naigani(which up until 3 weeks ago I ranked as my personal favourite). Naigani has brilliant diving and a superb location with top dive sites only five minutes away from the white sand beach.
But now I've been to Beqa and I'll be going back. We stayed at Beqa Lagoon Resort - it won "World's Best Dive Resort" in 2002 as voted by SCUBA DIVER mag; and the way I see it, its only got better since then. This was the best dive resort I've ever been to - great service and the friendliest staff with superb 5 star gourmet meals. Swordfish steaks in macadamia sauce followed by Chocolate souffles! And all presented like a first class restaurant - I've never been anywhere before where my group took photos of the food and then would look at it smugly, before reluctantly destroying the wonderful presentation! And a full service dive operation where you don't lift a tank or change a BCD (unless you're anally retentive and insist on doing such things!)
The diving was fantastic - the best soft corals and the biggest gorgonian fans I have ever seen - we dived a seamount threee hours out to sea (where we later gamefished and caught a 28 kilo Wahoo.) We had 50 metre vis; turtles all over the place and gorgonians that 4 divers could disappear behind! But most dive sites are only 30 minutes from the resort - so 2 dives each morning before lunch back at the resort. Beqa'a also easy to get to - a 2.5 hour coach trip from Nadi followed by a 3/4 hour boat trip - so no need to overnight in Nadi or pay through the nose for expensive inter-island flights.
And this was actually than Kadavu (where we went 2005); Naigani or Wananavu! We had 10 boat dives for $200 (AUD)! We dived Kadavu (Dive Kadavu at Matana Resort) in 2005. This is on the leeward side of the island on a gorgeous beach, but the resort is pretty ordinary with average to below average food in quality and quantity.
I've got a second group of 23 going back to Beqa in the September hols - wish I was going -
Wiggsy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh boy. And I just booked us a week at the Matava Resort. I better bring some comfort food.

I think people are confusing Matava and Matana resorts on the island of Kadavu. I stayed at Matana and the food was pretty awful. Several of us got sick and were told we had the flu. I've only heard good things about Matava.

Back
Top Bottom