Mating squids at Baya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gustele

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yesterday my buddy and I were making a dive at Baya beach Curacao. That is the location of the Tugboat. There was a boat full of divers at the Tugboat so we decided to skip the wreck and just do a relaxed dive along the reef. We swam along the reef till the second wall and then returned on the shoulder of the reef at about 10 meters. That is a very nice spot with lots of soft coral.
After about 60 minutes we were back near the bay and decided to skip the pier. We headed back to the shore but met a group of squids on the way in. We had more than enough opportunity to take pictures of the group and while doing that I witnessed two squids touching the back end of their bodies briefly. One of the two squids changed colors completely to white while the other stayed dark. I was just too late to take a picture of the actual mating (I assume that is what happened) but got a picture a few seconds later.
So I guess it is not only the coral that is spawning this month but these squids joined in.

Anyway, it proves that even if you don't go to the wreck of the Tugboat or end you dive under the pier this is a very good dive spot when you are in Curacao.

Baya_20080923_040.jpg

Great photo! They are definitely more photogenic than the batfish.
We had rough seas in Westpunt yesterday afternoon. Things have calmed down dramatically today and hopefully visability will be back to normal tomorrow. I'm glad you had a relaxing dive. See you soon, Sunshine

Nice picture!!!
Hope you don't mind me saying this, but as far as I know, squids only mate with their tentacles, the back end of their body has nothing to do with that...and after that the male dies.
But I'm not sure if it's the way it works for all sorts of squid.
They changes color also if they're startled or swim above sand...

Nice picture!!!
Hope you don't mind me saying this, but as far as I know, squids only mate with their tentacles, the back end of their body has nothing to do with that...and after that the male dies.
But I'm not sure if it's the way it works for all sorts of squid.
They changes color also if they're startled or swim above sand...

You are probably right. I just assumed it was mating because there is not much reason to touch bodies. I really don't know the actual process (for squids :D).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom