Maui at Black Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyclospora

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to Maui in the middle of May and I will be staying at the Sheraton at Black Rock. I don't have a dive buddy, so I would like to find a dive shop near the Sheraton for tanks and guide. Any suggestions? How much should I pay for a guided dive? I've seen prices of $35 to $70 for 1 tank shore dives.

i stayed at the sheraton over summer and you dont really need a guide for that particular site. i recommend you take a trip out to lanai and molokai.lugging tanks from the nearest parking to black rock is almost unbearable as well.

ShakaZulu:
Why do you need a guide???
The original poster said that he didn't have a buddy, so perhaps the guide is also a rent-a-buddy. Not everyone believes that solo diving a new and unknown site is a good idea.

Cyclospora -- there is a dive shack right on the Sheraton beach. They do guided dives 2 or 3 times a day. They also rent tanks, but won't rent to solo divers. Their tank rental fee is something like $10 or $15. Cheaper tank rentals are available at the Maui Dive Shop in the Whaler's Village Shopping Center right in the center of Kaanapali resort ($40 for 10 tank rental card; and IIRC, something like $7.50 for a single rental). They will rent to solo divers.

Charlie

I had several great night dives at Black Rocks. There were tons of eels, little squid, and various other critters. Ok...the eels were really cool..my buddy said it reminded him of a den of asps.....We did a day dive there once as well...the looks we got walking through the hotel in scuba gear to get to the parking structure was worth the length of the walk.

While I agree that a guide is normally not necessary...being a new diver, its probably not a bad idea.

Charlie99:
The original poster said that he didn't have a buddy, so perhaps the guide is also a rent-a-buddy. Not everyone believes that solo diving a new and unknown site is a good idea.

Cyclospora -- there is a dive shack right on the Sheraton beach. They do guided dives 2 or 3 times a day. They also rent tanks, but won't rent to solo divers. Their tank rental fee is something like $10 or $15. Cheaper tank rentals are available at the Maui Dive Shop in the Whaler's Village Shopping Center right in the center of Kaanapali resort ($40 for 10 tank rental card; and IIRC, something like $7.50 for a single rental). They will rent to solo divers.

Charlie

Yes, a guide would be a rent a buddy. Not to mention I only have 9 dives under my belt.

Charlie, that is the information I was looking for. If I can find someone else that needs a dive buddy when I am there I will do that. Thanks.

I had a guided tour from Lahaina Divers (right next door to Ka'anapali) back in 2001; I think they charged $60. It's pretty shallow - 35 to 40 feet max - and you can enjoy the reef just as much by snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom