Maui Dive Considerations for New(ish) Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice. The hammerheads are probably coming off the table this trip. We are doing the Mala Pier for a night dive, so deciding what might be another good day dive option. Cathedrals, perhaps.
You know, the interior of Molokini (not the outside wall) isn't too shabby. It's going to have better vis than the stuff right off the Maui shorelines.

You know, the interior of Molokini (not the outside wall) isn't too shabby. It's going to have better vis than the stuff right off the Maui shorelines.
Thanks. Due to flight schedules, we are locked into two set days of diving, Backwall being the second. I think we are trying to choose between Molokini Interior and Mala Wharf for our first day (and than possibly go back to Mala for a night dive - depending conditions). I am a a little concerned about about shore conditions making a shore dive not possible and losing a day. Thoughts, or am I overthinking this?

Thanks. Due to flight schedules, we are locked into two set days of diving, Backwall being the second. I think we are trying to choose between Molokini Interior and Mala Wharf for our first day (and than possibly go back to Mala for a night dive - depending conditions). I am a a little concerned about about shore conditions making a shore dive not possible and losing a day. Thoughts, or am I overthinking this?

Depending on budget and time, you can dive molokini crater and mala the same day - many shops do the crater in the AM and mala in the PM.

I'm not positive, but ask about when the south swell will make vis at Mala less than ideal. I know it can hit us when we're there in August. Can't recall if it's an "all summer" problem or more of a late-summer issue.

I'm not positive, but ask about when the south swell will make vis at Mala less than ideal. I know it can hit us when we're there in August. Can't recall if it's an "all summer" problem or more of a late-summer issue.
Thanks. I'll ask. We have a few days on Oahu ahead of our time in Maui so I can call ahead and adjust as necessary.

I’ve dove mala maybe 5 or 6 times in either May, June, or July over the last 8-10 years. Never had issues with Vis; but my experience is a rather small sample size.

Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

The hubs and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in July and have a few days to dive in Maui. We're both OW certified, but only post-COVID have gotten more consistent in our diving. I have 30+ dives and he has 80+ dives, most recently in the Florida Keys last month. We are planning to get AOW certified in late-June before our trip.

I've been reading a lot about the more advanced dive sites, mainly the Molokini Backwall and the Hammerheads. I understand what makes these more advanced dives are the tough surface conditions for entry/exit, potential for a current, and need for good buoyancy control.

Would these dives be too tough for newly minted AOW divers? We are planning to take the peak buoyancy and drift electives for sure. My husband has done some drift diving in the Maldives and we both have recent live boat dives, but of course we want to dive within our limits. Not having taken AOW yet, I'm still trying to figure that one out. He's ready to go. I am a more conservative diver since I am newer to the sport, but recognize the best way to get better is to dive more in different conditions.

Our plan was to book the more advanced dives, since space would be limited on boats, then assess after AOW and rebook if necessary. We've booked with Dive Maui for Hammerheads and Maui Dive Shop for Molokini. There is also the potential to book a private dive master, which might give us (read: me) more peace of mind.

Any guidance or additional insight on the dive conditions and operators for those two dives would be greatly appreciated!

Many mahalos in advance.
I just returned from diving with Maui Diving completing my advanced diver certification.
They had one of their shops burn in La'haina and I do disaster response and had my business burn in the Sonoma fires, so I went to specifically support the many small businesses that really need help.
I had so much help and support ... Even two very seasoned dive masters solely training me (alone). The conditions (weather and unusual low visitors) are even better with the extreme low air fairs!
Heck, I'm going back for a few more extended weekends while they have these very affordable flights!
I encourage everyone to support the many people recovering from the La'haina fires, most of Maui is open and eager for visitors!

Attachments

• 20231024_175440.jpg
    20231024_175440.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231029_175117.jpg
    20231029_175117.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom