Maui Dive Report with Shaka Doug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spica

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of visiting the beautiful island of Maui last week. Upon coming over there, one of my objectives was to dive somewhere where the visibility is more than 10 feet. Of course, being in a new place with no knowledge of the dive sites and what they have to offer, I didn't have much of a choice but to pay a premium for those boat dives, where I'd join a large group of divers. Luckily, a good friend, Otter, suggested that I call up Shaka Doug for a private one-on-one shore dive. I'm glad I did. I must say, it was probably the best diving experience I've ever had.

I got two dives in with Doug. One was at the 5 graves/caves and the other Ulua. Both dives were phenomenal. The visibility was easily 80-100 feet with ample of sea life. I got to swim with turtles and saw fish that I've never seen before. One regret I had was not catching a glimpse of the "great" white tip sharks :D that typically were in the caves. I don't think I would have had this experience if I'd gotten on one of those dive packages, and certainly not with one-on-one guide. Doug knew the sites like the back of his hand. His service was second to none! I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I ever go back to Maui.

If you ever visit Maui, look him up. You will not regret it.

Doug - thank you for the wonderful experience.
Craig - thank you for the tip.

Sean

I went out with Shaka Doug a couple a weeks ago. He's a great guide. Dude knows those reefs better than I know my living room.

I did both of those dives with Doug a few weeks back as well. Saw more sea life on the shore dives than I did on any of the boat dives I did. Lots and lots of sharks. We were able to go from the 5 graves site all the way to Makena landing.
I dive in Hawaii quite a bit. This was one of my top 5 dives ever in Hawaii. Could not have navigated it without Doug, for sure. Would not have seen as much either. He can spot a Frog fish from 20 yards out!
I liked it so much, I brought the wifey back the next day and repeated the dive. She is usually doesn't like surgey, shallow shore dives. Doug did a great job keeping her comfortable the entire 70 minutes it took to do the loop.
If you go to Maui, he is the man!

I had the best two dives of my life yesterday with Shaka Doug! He is absolutely amazing and his prices are phenomenol! I would wholeheartedly recommend him no matter what your experience level. Shaka Doug is the King of diving in Maui!

He's the 5 graves MASTER!

I gotta get out there with him; my wallet is hurting though :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom