Maui Dive Shop / Referral / Temp C-Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to put my 13yr. old in (SSI) OW classes at the end of August. Unfortunately time and schedule don't permit us to make one of our LDS's checkout trips to California before we go to Maui at the end of October.

So my only options are:

• pick a new LDS/Instructor/Agency and get him certified before we go.
  • Have him do his checkout dives in Maui.

I'm against A. because I like my instructor, his demeanor, I have a repoir with him, and trust his opinion when it comes to telling me if my son is ready to checkout. I like SSI/My LDS cause it's a long, slow course over 6 weeks, lots of time to practice skills in the pool, etc. I don't want to throw him in an accelerated/shorter course with another agency and do checkout dives in a lake. I'm a firm believer in, if you want to be an OW/Ocean diver, you should do your checkout dives in the ocean.

So basically I'm going with B. not a bad choice, just hate to waste 2 days of the trip with him checking out.

According to the SSI website, Maui Dive Shop, is maybe my only choice for him to checkout (we'll be in Lahaina/Kaanapali), since I want him checked out with an SSI shop.

Any feedback on this shop and it's instructors would be appreciated.

My 2nd question, maybe someone reading this can answer for me, but I'll also email the shop.

Assuming he passes his OW checkout dives. Will he be issued a temporary card since he's on a referral so we can dive together while we're there? I thought I read someplace they don't do this, because his Instructor back in Phoenix has to sign off on his cert. But if they don't what would be the point of referral's anyway unless your only planning on checking out and not diving after that??

Thanks,
Garrett

Yes he will be issued a temporary card. I'm not a fan of the Maui Dive Shop but I've met some of their instructors and they seem very thorough. It isn't a waste of two days either. They'll probably take him to Ulua for his checkouts and it's a very nice site. Try to get a morning slot.

MDS also uses Airport Beach for their West Maui customers.

I personally would try to steer away from MDS for instruction, mostly because of stories I've heard of up to 8 people in a class, with multiple courses in the same class with the same instructor, etc. Not to mention their price being substantially higher than other operations... and the hidden fees!

Don't even get me started on MDS! :)

Anyways, the SSI and PADI are likely to have similar checkout procedures, especially considering the brevity in which they are dealt with in "resort" settings. Besides, PADI might teach him something that SSI doesn't bother to! :)

That's just IMO.

Padi doesn't do universal referrals. All the MDS would do is checkouts for his son.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom