maui dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaah so they're tied in with activity brokers. I suppose that's a way to make a few extra bucks. Yes they're prices are way cheap. I have to wonder if their pay is way cheap too.

Wow thanks everyone this kind of info was exactly what i wanted. Looks like i have a lot to think about and even more research. Just the fact that my wife and i get to live in Maui is a great blessing for this midwest boy. All of the replies were thoughtfull, helpfull, and very much appreciated!! Anymore comment on this thread is greatly appreciated and i thank you before hand for your time and effort. I am new to scubaboard and i am just amazed at the activity. I have been diving over 18 years and always thought for the most part that diver are a good group of helpfull people and a lot of fun(most of them.) Thank again

Al Mialkovsky:
Aaah so they're tied in with activity brokers. I suppose that's a way to make a few extra bucks. Yes they're prices are way cheap. I have to wonder if their pay is way cheap too.

Many (most?) of the smaller shops sell activities on the side, with all the lds competition it's how they diversify their business. Though my favorite shops don't push it hard. It is nice to have available for customers if you handle it right. Especially for the shops with no boat.

They advertise on their vehicle certifications for $125 btw ... cheapest on the island.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Many (most?) of the smaller shops sell activities on the side, with all the lds competition it's how they diversify their business. Though my favorite shops don't push it hard. It is nice to have available for customers if you handle it right. Especially for the shops with no boat.

They advertise on their vehicle certifications for $125 btw ... cheapest on the island.

Aloha, Tim
yup... and if you're just wanting to try out scuba (like I was to start with), it is *by far* the cheapest way to get 6 dives in!

Most places charge nearly that (~$90) for a 2-tank intro dive...

My wife did her ow check out dives with them last year. She had a very good instructor. All beach dives. Class was on the sidewalk outside of the shop, very laid back. Had good rental equipment.

makomike:
KrisB
would you dive with them again or do another cert with them? Would you recommend them to a friend? Thanks Mike
Hi Mike,

That's an interesting question... I guess it would have to depend on the instructor that was going to be teaching. If it was Dan again, I'd say sure... but if it was the owner, I'd say not.

Personally, I have been very impressed by *everyone* at Maui Dreams, and despite the higher prices, that's where I would recommend. Much more personalized attention (Maui Dreams' OW classes max out at 4, whereas the Maui Diving Scuba Centre will bring in 6+) and a shop atmosphere that's a little less money-hungry (e.g. they don't sell activities) pushes me that way.

ke167 is right about the equipment, too -- Maui Diving Scuba Centre has good quality rental gear that is well maintained.

It really is a tossup. I'd say go for it, if they'll hire you at a rate that's acceptable -- then you can form your own opinion and get to know the other ops on the island and you can switch to them later... it's not like Maui Dive Shop that seems to chew through their instructors like they're going out of style (i.e. they're *always* advertising, apparently).

Cheers,

I actually got certified there (both OW and AOW). John is an interesting character (a real Curmudgeon). I was happy with my instructors, but my main concern (knowing what I do now) is that for Open Water classes we did 6 dives (2 per day) all at about 25'--no pool and no confined open water (an open water site that offers swimming-pool-like conditions with respect to clarity, calmness, and depth).

WileEDiver:
I actually got certified there (both OW and AOW). John is an interesting character (a real Curmudgeon). I was happy with my instructors, but my main concern (knowing what I do now) is that for Open Water classes we did 6 dives (2 per day) all at about 25'--no pool and no confined open water (an open water site that offers swimming-pool-like conditions with respect to clarity, calmness, and depth).
when I did my OW cert there, the first couple dives were "confined-quality OW" -- 100'+ viz, max 20', and calm.

Of course, the trick is that OW conditions change -- cone shells can wander into the "classroom" area which has the instructor pick a different location, wind and surf can become an issue, etc...

Back
Top Bottom