Maui Diving (including Lanai and Molokai) and Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just about any of the Kihei boats are smaller so less divers since most launch from the Kihei boat ramp. I often suggest Severns also - just beware that they like to leave at or b4 6am if possible to be at Molokini first.

Lahaina Divers has 2 big Newton dive boats. On their website they show a group of divers but they'll segregate by level and aasign a DM to every 8-10 or so. Cathedrals is the signature dive but I also like the sites around Sharfin and points west - for some they may look for Advanced or equivalent experience but there's ofen two dives you can do also at the same site.

The other Lahaina boat options are Extended Horizons or Hawaiian Rafting with their big RIB. It can be a little rougher at the Cathedrals at times so a bigger boat is better.

Maui Dive Shop also has a big boat moored in Ma'alea - a few minutes north of Kihei. They feed divers from all their shops there - I've been on it once but won't again - too crowded

Only Lahaina Divers goes to Molokai for the hammerheads. I believe some times of year are better than others but have not done it.

I agree the South Maui shore dives are good options - in fact they're better than anything offshore in West Maui IMO except maybe Mala Pier. You won't really get a lot of depth anywhere just off Maui though - maybe 60-70'. A site like Black Rock is closer to 40' - near the back it's shallow enough that a good snorkeler can swim down.

Thanks. I’ll give Niihau another look. Since you are on Kauai, can you give me an update on overall conditions? I’ve been concerned given all the press about the flooding, beach debris, brown water, etc., etc. . Should I still come there or change plans? Thanks

The north shore is where the primary impact was. The south shore is recovering nicely and we have had some fantastic diving this past week in really great visibility. We also had a great crossing and 3 spectacular dives at Niiahu last week. The shore diving should be the only thing that will not be available moving forward. The north shore's "Tunnels" beach dive won't likely be doable for a couple months as a result of limited/restricted access. Koloa Landing "may" turn around in the next 2-3 weeks.

Almost all of the diving done on the island is on the south shore (south of the airport to the Port Allen area). Long range trips to Mana Crack and Niihau are the exceptions and they are not impacted like the other areas on Kauai.

Should the cleaning trend be reversed for some reason I can certainly let you know, but I expect that things will be just fine. As I mentioned, we were all ecstatic that the waters have turned around the past week. We even had some diving in the 100ft range.

Cheers
A

On Kauai, Niihau (if the weather allows) and the Na’pali coast are stunning dives. We used Bubbles Below and had a very good experience with them.

One of my favorite sites on Maui is 5 Caves just south of Kihei. There are technically 2 sites on opposite sides of a point but we prefer the southern side as the access is a sandy area with better parking. Also Black Rock is a great site going to the left around the point.

We did the Catherdrals Trip with Lahaina Divers in 2010 and it was stellar. We are typically there in the May-August months althought it hasn't been since 2014 due to having kids.

we used to use this site whenever we were there.

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

Will be on Maui soon and looking to do some diving. From what I've seen on the 'net, it seems that other than Molokini, the best diving is Lanai and Molokai.

I loved my times in Maui. Diving is excellent there.

I stay in Kihei in a rental – it’s close to the boat ramp. Nothing wrong with the hotels if you enjoy paying 200/night and $35 for a cold or stale breakfast buffet buffet.

For south Maui scuba, I have used Ed Robinsons. Bird is a great captain and Francisco and Dave are great DMs.

For Molokai, only one operator guarantees you’ll make it – Lahaina Divers. They showed us the hammerheads and it was a phenominal dive.

Also, I would not go to Maui without the book “Maui Revealed” – it is worth every penny!

I agree about south Maui. Molokini is cool in it's own right but the S Maui dives we did were just as good in their own ways.

One of the things I like about Hawaii diving is that it varies so much from place to place. I miss the warmer water and colorful corals of some other places, but there is lots unique and interesting diving.

My wife and I have gone to Maui and Kauai the past few summers and will be back in July.

We do enjoy the South Maui dives, but we've chosen to stay in West Maui on this trip. We tend to dive our favorite site multiple times, and in my opinion, the best two shore diving sites on Maui are in the west -- Mala Pier and Slaughterhouse/Honolua Bay (you can do both sites in one dive). Each site is worth diving multiple times.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
I was unimpressed with Molokini. We did the crater. It didn't thrill me. I have heard the backside is a great advanced drift dive. We used Maui Dreams. I liked them, but the DM got lost twice during a night dive.

I was unimpressed with Molokini. We did the crater. It didn't thrill me. I have heard the backside is a great advanced drift dive. We used Maui Dreams. I liked them, but the DM got lost twice during a night dive.

I've done the drift dive on the backside whenever I can get out there. (Limited by being on family vacations with non-diving family obligations.) One time the skipper talked us into doing two dives on the outside instead of 1 there and 1 somewhere more typical. He didn't have to twist our arms! The other times we had to do the interior once and 5 caves (as the second dive).

The backside of Molokini is a long, shear wall. I've seen manta and eagle rays out there, just cruising by. More pelagics as I recall.

Five caves is nice for the turtles and sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom