Maui - Lahaina Divers Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubachad36

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all! New member here...

My wife and I are heading to Maui to do some diving this summer, and are investigating some options in the Lahaina area. We've dived with Extended Horizons before, and really liked them, but Lahaina Divers has package deals for 5 days of boat charters.

I emailed them some questions, and was a bit disappointed in the answers (and the curtness of the response). They told me that they dive 72cf tanks (seems small) and limit dives to 35min @ 60fsw. That seems awfully short, especially given that computer profiles would allow much longer bottom times than that.

In reading the forums, it seems like many divers have dived with Lahaina Divers. Can anyone speak to cutting dive times short and smaller tanks than other diver operators in Maui? Or was this a rogue individual responding to email?

Thanks!

Not sure about the tank size they have but typically rentals are 80cf aluminum and when I dove with them our dive times were in the 60 minute range.

They cut our dives well short when the whole group had to surface when the first person hit 1000 psi. My wife and I did Molokini crater and the hammerhead dive, cost around $800. We were very dissatisfied and received a partial refund. I would stick with your other operators.

We did six dives with them last August. Our bottom times were around 45-50 minutes. Depth was typically between 50-80 ft so I have no idea why you were told that. We did not always have to surface with the group. They were ok but nothing special. I thought they were good for Lanai dives (hammerhead, cathedrals) as their boat is larger and smoother for the rough crossing.Their package prices are good.

Not sure about the tank size they have but typically rentals are 80cf aluminum and when I dove with them our dive times were in the 60 minute range.

That's what I thought, too - but the information I received about tank size was directly from Lahaina Divers.

I did 2 dives with LD – specifically for the hammerheads in Molokai. The conditions actually call for an abbreviated dive profile (so tank size wouldn't matter). I recall the dive being 55-60 ft max, end the dive @ 1500 PSI. Keep in mind, conditions are rough in, rough out, currents and swells. I did not have a problem with their profile – for this trip. We saw monster hammerheads all around us. I much prefer the options out of Kihei as every boat launches there.

I have used LD multiple times and will definitely be back. Yes, they use the 72cf tanks. I was told they fit the boat better. I have never had a 35 minute dive with them. The first day they will arbitrarily seat you on the boat based on the questionnaire you fill out. More experienced divers splash first. You will be guided in a small group on the dive returning to the ladder. Those of us with better air were allowed to stay in until the last group ascended. They do have a schedule to meet, it is a business. Nice calm days when the boat can move faster leads to longer bottom times. Rough days are a little shorter. I range from 50-78 minute bottom times with them. I highly recommend them.

Same here. Good experience with them and I don't recall either a group ascent or limited times. Multiple trips/visits.
Only exception was a group ascent on a drift dive off Lanai, but it was more a group swimming ascent to an offshore location better for safe pickup. 50 min dive.

I think they do a great job with the beginning or occasional diver, but IMO the dive leaders tend to micromanage the group and they prefer to have you back on board in no longer than 45 min after splashing in. I admit that I get pretty impatient when asked for my air pressure multiple times in a dive, and feel that the leader is hurrying the group to get to the end of the “tour” all of the time. That said we’ve always been able to do at least 60 minute dives with them, though on our last charter with them the DM yelled at us for coming up with the last group (we splashed in first) until the captain (personal friend) called him off.

They definitely have AL72 tanks on the boat unless you want to pay extra for 100s. The 42’ Newton Dive boats are some of the most comfortable on the island (though IMO Dive & Sea’s boat takes the award for best) and it definitely makes for a much more comfortable trip to Lanai.

For Molokini dives, I’d recommend driving to the Kihei boat ramp and catching a boat there. Not only is the trip to Molokini much shorter, but there are some fabulous S. Maui Dive sites as options for the second tank or alternatives if Molokini is blown out.

For the more experienced or adventurous diver, IMO there are many better choices than Lahaina Divers, but admittedly we have not been diving with them in a couple of years.

Have dove with LD on 3 trips to Maui. I find them to be very professional and they go out of their way to make sure you are safe when diving. I really like their dive boats. Very comfortable and stable. Exits and entrances on the boat are very easy. I will dive with them again.
Maui 2013 021.JPG
Maui 2013 023.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom