Maui or Oahu? Anywhere else in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's Booked!!!!!!

Hey, it's finally booked. Me and my girl are going on August 31st and returning on Sep 6. We will stay in Lahaina in the cheapest hotel we found, The Ohana Maui Islander. I read bad reviews about it, but look, we are on a budget. The extra money will go for dives!!!!

So now I need to know if there was any MUST DO, MUST SEE, MUST DIVE things that were not yer mentioned.

ANyone wants to join for a beach dive one day???

I appreciate all your help.

Thanks a lot,
Yan

the 2 "must see" land based things on Maui are Hana and Haleakala crater (usually for sunrise) Since the crater is at 10,000 ft it's a good one to do your first morning here (while you have jet-lag working on your behalf) and then plan a full day for Hana (relax and enjoy the drive/sites) Lots of diving up Lahaina way... I'll be gone till Sept. 5th, so unfortuantely won't be able to join you for any diving... Check with SB member Ed Rebolledo about getting together for some diving though...

Have fun!

Tim

Thanks Kidspot!

I forgot to ask. What is the water temperature in depth? Should I get a 3mm short john? or maybe even just a surfing wetsuit?

I have a 5mm full semi dry, and a 7mm full semi dry. When in the Big Island I used my 5mm. But I don't think it was really necessary.

divebrasil:
Hey, it's finally booked. Me and my girl are going on August 31st and returning on Sep 6. We will stay in Lahaina in the cheapest hotel we found, The Ohana Maui Islander. I read bad reviews about it, but look, we are on a budget. The extra money will go for dives!!!!

I appreciate all your help.
You owe us a trip report when you get back :)

The Maui Islander has an awesome location, just a couple blocks off of Lahaina's Front Street. Since you'll probably be diving and playing tourist most of the day, the run of the mill roadside motel atmosphere of the Islander shouldn't be a problem.

The water in Maui is pretty well mixed and there isn't much in the way of a thermocline. While I run cold and prefer a 3/2 full wetsuit + beanie, a 3mm shorty should be plenty for most people in Sept. Save the 5mm for a visit in January/February.

My gauge says water temp has been 81* lately - depth doesn't seem to matter a whole lot as Charlie99 pointed out.

Charlie99:
Here's a photo by Gilligan of St. Anthony's.

I swear, that's the same turtle in the same place that was there the last time I dove the St. Anthony two years ago :wink:

Also - I'd second the recommendation on staying at the Hana Maui if you have the dinero to afford it. My wife and I stayed there for our fifth anniversary and it is absolutely stunning. No diving in the vicinity (that I know of). Some of the locals said that if you get in the water around Hana, be prepared to take a trip to Tahiti - and not in the good way... :11:

David

cygnus4815:
I swear, that's the same turtle in the same place that was there the last time I dove the St. Anthony two years ago :wink:
Just ask Andy, on Mike Severns, about individual turtles and he'll break out his photo album. He's been tracking individual turtles and the locations where there are spotted. The patterns on the head and neck are unique to each turtle.

kidspot:
My gauge says water temp has been 81* lately - depth doesn't seem to matter a whole lot as Charlie99 pointed out.

81 ! mmm... how nice and toasty compared to our "warm" summer high temps here of about 58 !

Hey Tim... If I wear my 5/4 in the pool (mid 70s) I roast, so I'll be sure to bring my 3 full and shortie... or does it differ much by Nov/Dec?
If you happened to notice my other post, I'll be there at that time for over 3 weeks :) ...so hopefully we can get together for a dive or 2.

Yan... I hope you and your girlfriend have a great trip! Be sure to let us know how the diving was!

The temps didn't start dropping last year till about the end of December - and I never saw them get below 78...which is when I switched to a full 3mil and started getting cold brrrr.

Have a good trip in Nov/Dec and PM me when you know your travel plans - Always good to dive with other SB members...

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom