What's special about diving in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arbu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Hawaii in June, visiting Maui, Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island. I'll probably try to fit in a day or two's diving, because I'm sure that the diving is good. But is there anywhere I should try not to miss? I've dived in the Pacific before, and if there's something really different, I'll make time for it. But my impression is that the diving is not so different from say Indonesia or the Philippines, so I'm inclined to focus more on what's above the water.

Thanks

The diving in Hawaii is not anything like Philippines or Indonesia. Hawaii looks very different, with more drab rocky volcanic reefs with mostly encrusting or smaller hard corals. Lots of unique topography. Not colorful coral reefs with soft corals. The water is actually on the cooler side. But it is very isolated, and has many critters only found there. Lots more color in the fish. Depending when&where you are diving good opportunities to see big stuff like whales, sharks, dolphins, mantas, huge turtles.

How many days are you going for?

The diving in Hawaii is not anything like Philippines or Indonesia. Hawaii looks very different, with more drab rocky volcanic reefs with mostly encrusting or smaller hard corals. Lots of unique topography. Not colorful coral reefs with soft corals. The water is actually on the cooler side. But it is very isolated, and has many critters only found there. Lots more color in the fish. Depending when&where you are diving good opportunities to see big stuff like whales, sharks, dolphins, mantas, huge turtles.
Agreed.
Big island arguably has the best diving; Maui is more likely for whales.
If I could do only one day's diving, I'd look at Molokini, off Maui, and dive out of Kihei with Ed Robinson or Mike Severn.

I am with Josh, and highly recommend the manta night dive! Great experience..

I am with Josh, and highly recommend the manta night dive! Great experience..
It is definitely different, but extremely artificial and does not allow one to see the many endemic species that Hawaii offers, which is what the OP seems to be interested in.

Reactions: CCS
Not only is Hawaii diving different than other places in the Pacific (which is a very big place!), but the islands vary a lot from each other underwater just as they do above. It would take a pretty decent length trip to do justice to 4 islands, and some dive areas are very seasonal.

I remember Maui diving best because of great experiences at Molokini, the turtle caverns, and large numbers of sharks just lying around (similar to what we saw at Tubbataha.) You can also day boat to the Cathedrals on Lanai conditions permitting, but we haven’t done that.

I’d probably call Big island best all around, though a lot of what we liked best was further south via liveaboard (but the Kona Aggressor is gone now.)

Oahu gets you wrecks. We’re not wreck people and haven’t dove when there.

Kauai seems not as big a dive spot and we haven’t gotten there yet, but it seems to have its attractions.

Molokai is much less visited and dove and seems like it would be interesting to check out just because of that.

Kauai seems not as big a dive spot and we haven’t gotten there yet, but it seems to have its attractions.
Been there twice. Nothing special, but very laid back, even for Hawaii.
Molokai is much less visited and dove and seems like it would be interesting to check out just because of that.
Snorkeled, but not dived there. Even more laid back than Kauai!
When I last checked, there was just one operator who does not get good marks on Undercurrent.

I'm planning a trip to Hawaii in June, visiting Maui, Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island. I'll probably try to fit in a day or two's diving, because I'm sure that the diving is good. But is there anywhere I should try not to miss? I've dived in the Pacific before, and if there's something really different, I'll make time for it. But my impression is that the diving is not so different from say Indonesia or the Philippines, so I'm inclined to focus more on what's above the water.

Thanks
Diving on Maui is very good. As mentioned above, Mala Pier is a good shore dive. The Backwall of Molokini is awesome! So is the Backside of Lanai and the Hammerhead dive at Molokai.
On Kauai you can dive the Mana Crack on the Napili Coast. Also, they go to Ni'ihau. I haven't dove there yet, but I will in August. It looks pretty spectacular.
On the Big Island you should definitely do the night Manta Dive. The night Blackwater dive wasn't what I expected. Very tiny transparent creatures. Some people love it, I didn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom