Maui vs. Caribbean ... Reef Grabbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breaking is one of many ways that coral reproduce. If a bit breaks off it will start a new colony where it lands. To touch the coral, with bare hands or gloves, means transferring bacteria and other stuff on to the coral and that part will die...

...a...

If people were taught this from the beginning, we wouldn't have this problem.

Perhaps there needs to be a suggestion made to the dive agencies that they include a brief but pointed section of their classes toward reef etiquette? I don't remember there being anything in the curriculum regarding the damage done to coral just from light touching.

The problem is most divers can't tell the difference between live and dead coral. It is sad but true, flame me if you want but what I see is the majority of recreational divers looking at the pretty colors and not having a clue...of course this isnt the case for all but for a lot of divers it is. I think most of the divers I have seen dive in the Caribbean can't tell the me what type of coral they saw, a lot would say sea fans, brain corals and some other things lol. Most cant tell Acropora cervicornis from A. palmata even though they are very distinct acros. If divers can't tell the difference between rock, and live coral, how can someone expect them to know what it is they are holding. I think this is why most dive ops just go with touch nothing approach.

I dive with thin gloves, I do a lot of diving in the Caribbean and find most of the mooring lines encrusted with things (hydroids, ec.) I would rather not sting my hands on during safety stops. I don't use them for warmth. I also do some reef clean up dives, where we pull old anchor lines wrapping around coral, trash and other crap that's damaging reefs off the reef. I need gloves to do that. I would love to go to all them reefs and collect the trash and make a big pile on the beach, where the tourist could see first hand what they are doing to the reefs, but that wouldn't go over to well. Anyhow that's another thread....

I did the Hanauma Bay in Oahu snorkel thing last year when I was there visiting my sister. I believe thats where it was anyhow. You had to watch some video that kept going over dont stand on the reef....then you walk out side and down to the beach. What do you see but dozens of people standing on the reef...:confused:

FWIW, I grow SPS corals, LPS corals, soft corals, etc for trade/sale. I can take colony's of SPS coral from my aquarium (which were all bought tank raised as small 1" frags), snap them into pieces by hand. Super glue them to mounts and regrow the frags with out killing the coral. In general though on the reef, its breaking the tissue of the coral when you hold on, that could open it up to infection. Much like getting a cut, opening your skin to infection. Also holding onto "dead coral" can be just as bad of a practice because you could be killing much more sensitive recently settled coral larvae. Although if you must hold on, grabbing rock is better then coral, it is still damaging. There has been some research although none that I know of thats difinative that suggest the presence of a microbial film is a pre-requisite for the response to the inductive cue for coral larvae settlement. Destroying that by holding dead rock could cause an area to not be colonized by new coral.

Just as bad, or worse in the Caribbean I would say is boaters anchoring on the reef. I watch from my house boat renter after boat renter drop anchor right on the reef, if they hook in it is usually at the expense of a large coral head that they in turn flip and destroy when they pull up the next morning. Even worse is as they sit there overnight their chain and line drags back and forth ripping up the reef. I go divng the next day and will find several small coral head ripped loose flipped upside down. :shakehead: Like my Dad always says to me, for them it is paradise for a day, and if the reefs die out and the the beauty goes away they will find a new area to go. A lot of the same boaters are the one drinking all night, tossing beer cans/bottles in the water. Losing towels overboard that sink and get wrapped all over the reef etc...

Sorry for the rant...what do I know :idk: I watched a single head of Acropora palmata grow from a small settled coral over a 6 year period, from tiny to a nice size colony. A dingy from one of the rented sailboats hit it with its prop one day smashing it to a bunch of chuncks. All the chunks succumbed to rapid tissue necrosis....6 years of growth gone to one careless boater.

halemanō;5376319:

There is one place off Lanai that "grabbing on" is the way it is done; First Cathedral has an exit named "the shotgun" and over the years a whole bunch of divers have grabbed on to those "hand-holds." There is not very much coral inside the caverns.

We did that dive ... easy to go through with no hands. Although the coral wasn't alive and could be touched, I enjoyed trying it for practice.

Our dive op somewhat mentioned no touching and buoyancy in the briefing, especially Molikini, but it didn't seem to matter for most. I know that the dive masters saw from time to time, but I find that they seem reluctant to reprimand divers as they are paying, tipping customers.

The dive op clearly stressed checking your computers and staying within no deco limits. And one of the divers did go into deco on Molokini on our 2nd dive - 15 minute mandatory safety stop with no air left. We saw on the safety stop that she was already buddy breathing with 12 more mintues to go. She got a serious, serious talking to. I noticed that she was busy with a underwater camera and video camera the entire time ... looked at and touched everything, but obviously not her computer!

gloves are not the problem, it's the people and/or their attitudes that need to be changed about touching.
I am mortified if for some reason that I need to put a finger out to stop myself from drifting into something, and I very much scrutinize it and pick the spot I'm going to touch before I do .. I feel it's a failure on my part and my dive skills

Well said.

Perhaps there needs to be a suggestion made to the dive agencies that they include a brief but pointed section of their classes toward reef etiquette? I don't remember there being anything in the curriculum regarding the damage done to coral just from light touching.

There's a whole section on it in the NAUI Scuba Diver (OW) student handbook ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was on a Lanai trip a couple years ago with a diver that was what we called a water flea: he darted here and there very quickly, up and down in the water column (ruined a very nice photo I was taking of a turtle when his bubble stream came up from below me), and holding on to anything he could to "look closer". I went up to the DM after the first dive and told him I understand they work for tips and he might not want to say anything to this guy. I told him (the DM) that I would be happy to tell the guy if he grabbed anything else I might stab him. We laughed, he told me he had seen the guy too and that he'd take care of it.

The next dive this guy is in great trim, has his hands holding the shoulder strap on his BC, and is no closer than 5-6 feet from anything. Same for dive #3. When we got back, I asked the DM what he said to the guy. He said "I told him - see that guy and his buddy over there (I'm 6', 200 and my buddy is 6'3" and about 260)? If you grab the reef, poke at fish or swim into him again he's liable to stab you." When the diver looked at him and started to laugh he said he went straight faced and said "No. Really. Don't touch anything."

Now I certainly would not have stabbed the guy, and that may not be what the DM said (he did also include yet another instruction in the next briefing), but problem solved. Bottom line is if we who know better do not say or do anything, the problem will never go away.

When I was in Maui I was appalled at the sight of a dive guide literally pushing a coral head over in order to expose and capture a small octopus so that one of his clients could hold it. Besides the fact that he terrorized the poor octo (which was inking like crazy), he destroyed several decades worth of coral growth just so some kid could "pet" an octopus for about three seconds before he let go of it.

Must be a regional thing ... because everywhere else I've gone diving folks are more interested in preserving their diving environment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My experience is that it is a generational thing. Newer divers are educated, older divers were not. Our recent PADI classes strongly stressed protection of the environment. Local clubs and dive ops do, too. Some places are catching on more slowly than others.

I know how irksome it is to see divers harming the reefs, but the good news is that we humans, in just a few decades, have transitioned from an attitude of wanton destruction of our environment to an attitude of actively caring for it.

We humans are pretty amazing, when you think about it.

halemanō;5376319:

There is one place off Lanai that "grabbing on" is the way it is done; First Cathedral has an exit named "the shotgun" and over the years a whole bunch of divers have grabbed on to those "hand-holds." There is not very much coral inside the caverns.

We did that dive ... easy to go through with no hands. Although the coral wasn't alive and could be touched, I enjoyed trying it for practice.

Some days the shotgun is only a bb gun; some days it is a bazooka; some days the same group of divers will each have a different velocity to negotiate. It was easy for you, when you went through.

I position myself next to the shotgun (left in the picture) and if you had not followed my example for safe exiting procedures I would have stopped you and made you follow instructions. Sure, you made it, but what if the next person, with less skill than you had a more powerful surge to deal with; your example of not following instructions could have caused another diver to be injured. :shakehead:

There are only a couple small pieces of black coral inside the Cathedral, and no coral of any kind anywhere near the shotgun. :idk:

Let me start this off by saying I DO NOT ADVOCATE touching the reef for any reason, and it is not something that I do. BUT saying that touching a coral kills it is a pretty far fetched statement. Being an aquarium enthusiast and a HUGE supporter of aquaculture practices, here is a video on just how resilient coral can be during the "fragging" process to generate multiple new corals from one existing mother colony. Note the bare hands and crude implements.....

YouTube - Fragging and mounting an Acropora with coral shears

YouTube - Fragging corals frog spawn

YouTube - Frag an Anemone

YouTube - Zoanthid Reef Fragging - The Planet Coral Fragging demonstrations on real live Coral.

Those practices above are done for aquarium and reef replenishing programs worldwide with great success. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom