MAUI - Water Temperature - Late January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All:

I'll be on Maui, in late January and plan to do a series of dives. Will a 5/4mm wetsuit work or should I plan to bring a full 7mm? Was thinking about doing a Four Tank dive with Lahaina Divers.

Thanks,
O.

FWIW I talked to Aaron’s on Oahu yesterday. He said “we rent 3/2s to our students, although some people choose not to wear them.”

Temps were in the 73° F range this week. Everyone has different tolerances to cold water, I'm diving in a 5mil suit, on previous trips I've had a 7mil and I missed it on yesterday's dives…

Full 5mm wetsuit, hooded vest, gloves and boots. Should this do the trick, even for multiple dives? Usually, if I have to wear anything thicker than a 3mm, the hood becomes mandatory.

O.

We just got home from diving in Maui. Water temperature got down to about 75. It will likely be colder when you go. I was OK in a 5mm full suit, hooded vest, gloves and booties for two tank dives, each about an hour. My wife wore the same, plus a Lavacore top (supposedly worth about 2mm of warmth), and froze on every dive. You'll get a lot colder on a 4 tank dive than a 2 tank dive. Plus, by mid-morning the trades will be blowing, so you'll get a bit of evaporative cooling as well, especially when the boat is moving. It all depends on your tolerance to cold, but if you're going on vacation to enjoy yourself, my attitude it's better to be a little warm than freezing miserable and not enjoying the diving. All the Maui locals are diving 7mm suits this time of year. You'll also use more air if you're colder, so if you want the longest dives possible, dress warmer

Back
Top Bottom