mazatlan mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

intoscuba413

Reaction score
We plan to go to mazatlan this september. I would like to know who to contact for scuba diving and best places to go. I am a newly certified diver. Would like to hear from anyone who has been there diving and how the water and conditions were?

Can't help ya, Mark...just wanted to welcome you to Scubaboard!

I spent the intire month of December and Half of January trying to decide where to dive this March on the west coast of Main land Mexico. The three places I looked at the most was Mazanilla, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.
I don't know exactly why but I really wanted to go to Mazatlan. Maybe because of their location, the farterest north closest to Kansas, where the sea of Cortez meets the Pacific or what ever. The city of Mazatlan sounds very interesting and I still would like to go there some day, but the diving is what finally swayed me. There are no real dive operators in Mazatlan ony Hotel operators and dive reports in the area are rarer than hens teeth. that should be a clue. I foud out that although you might see some interesting fish and sea mammels the sea scape is kinda baron sand and rocks. Another place you might concider is San Carlos, they are way up north on the Mainland only a few hours from Phoenix, but its a little cool there in March.
I finally chose Puerto Vallarta, an interesting City, good diving, lots of operators, and we got a fair deal there. I'll post my report when I return in three weeks, I'll be leaving the frozen Tundra of Kansas on the 16th.................................................................

I spent a week in Mazatlan last May, after driving across Mexico. It seemed to me like a "Spring-break" partytown, at least the part for touristas. They have great beaches and sunshine though. Diving conditions vary day to day. I took a short boatride from shore with a company called "Aqua-sports center". The divemaster was a nice guy, very helpful. The water was nasty though. Vis was maybe 10 ft. This may have been abnormal, and the water may be clearer out beyond the set of islands that lies about .5 to .75 miles offshore. If you do go to Mazatlan, ask some of the hotel employees for suggested dive locations, some of them know the spots. If the water looks murky close to shore, make sure you go out far! Have fun if you go, there is no lack of nightlife!

Don't go to Mazatlan for diving. And especially don't go in September. Don't be sucked in buy a "good deal". Hot , sticky and a good chance of a storm. Mazatlan is one of my favorite Mexican cities. It's not the place to be for Spring break, Easter Week, in the Summer or for diving.

adios don O

Okay so we won't go there to dive But we are getting excited on the sites we are finding in cozumel mexico. Is this a good place to dive in september or what ideas do you have. We want 10 days and a place on the ocean any ideas so we can start making reservations. Thanks:confused: :confused:

I'm no expert but I believe the rainny/hurrican season runs from the end of August to the beginning of December. You should be able to get some really good prices if your willing to take a chance on some or all of you trip being ruined by rain, or worse.

I'm no expert but I believe the rainy/hurricane season runs from the end of August to the beginning of December. You should be able to get some really good prices if you’re willing to take a chance on some or all of you trip being ruined by rain, or worse.
There are many nice resorts there that specialize in divers, I'm am currently thinking of going there at the end of July and staying at the Fiesta Americana. Not only is it an all inclusive dive resort but it is fairly close to downtown for my wife to go shopping while I'm diving.
If you are stuck with September as your vacation time, you might look into San Carlos or Cabo. I have never been to either but I have heard many good things about both

September is "iffiy" any place in Mexico. You can get "good deals" and no crowds. The problem is they can be washed out days befor you go or while you are there. So if September is a must, be prepared for the worst, including delays both coming and going and the possibility of no diving. The report from your favorite dive operator just days befor will not be reliable. But at least you shouldn't of paid much. The hurricanes come up the west coast and some times cross over Baja into the sea. San Carlos is least likely but it will be hot and humid if a hurricane is off the coast. Los Cabos not so hot but much more likely to at least get the rain. Check some of the weather sites for hurricane predictions this year.

I don't mind it when I'am traveling down there as there is no place I'd rather be. The concern is for the vacationer with limited vacation and the expense of a one week / ten day vacation that needs to be "right".

good luck ,,,, don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom