mazatlan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlreid

Reaction score
I am currently locking into going to mazatal Jan 2 - Jan 9 and would like to know if there is any diving there. If not how far away would I have to travel for some good diving:) I need to get this planned as soon as possible so I can relax about going to a spot I have never been before. All that i have read says the east coast of mexico is better than the west coast and I have had many great dives in cancun and cozemel but that is not where I am going this year so would like to try and get my homework done before I go.

I was in Mazatlan about two years ago- stayed at the Pueblo Bonito.

1. It was an amazing city full of great people, the best food ever, good clubs, and beautiful beaches.

2. Let me say again how great the people were. It was totally unprentious and authentic. It think that is because there is other industry there besides tourism.

3. The diving was a nightmare. The viz was less than ten feet and the currents were ripping in every direction. It was, by far, the most difficult dive I have ever done. In fact, at times it was a bit scary. In all fairness I should say the divemaster (alo a locaol police officer) told us this up front, but we made him take us anyway.

Would I go back to Mazatlan? In a heartbeat! It was a great vacation with some good friends. Simply stated, it was is what is great with Mexico. Would I dive there again? Probably not.

Thank you f/ the info. It's always nice to hear about other parts of Mexico, besides Cancun, Palay del Carmen & Coz. I love all three places, but I need to broaden my horizons.

I'm going to Mazatlan in late October and am determined to find good diving there. I should have a report by mid Nov. Wish me luck...

Mazatlan is one of my favorite Mexican City's,,,, but don't bother hauling your dive gear ... better things to do.

adios don O

Just got back from Maz. Dove one dive and had a nice time. My recommendations: Plan on doing at least one dive but don't take your gear. Just use theirs. Don't expect a pretty reef. But expect to see things. Saw a couple of eels, 2-3 different nudibranchs, rays, various fishies, fun sea urchins, lots of scallops, and generally had nice time on the dive and short boat ride. Reef was rocks and sand (no coral in this part of the world). Never had more than about 8-9 feet of viz. Never got below 20'. Didn't care to do anymore dives that week. But for $50 bucks I had a good time. Poor viz is pretty much a constant for Maz. I went deep sea fishing one day and we didn't hit blue water till we were out about 25 miles! Also, there are no other dive areas near Maz other than the couple of islands that are a stones' throw from the downtown/resort area.
Aqua Sport Center on the beach next to the El Cid Hotel is one of the few `dive operators' there. Their rental gear was way funky but workable and they wouldn't give me much of a discount for using my own gear so I kept mine dry. Carlos Zalazar is the owner.

mjones once bubbled...
I went deep sea fishing one day and we didn't hit blue water till we were out about 25 miles!

So, how was it? How big was that marlin azul that got away? ;^)

Back
Top Bottom