Mb-sub X1-VB "hand strap"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Recently ordered a Mb-sub X1 VB (AA version) light from recommendation in another thread.

Was wondering if any X1 VB owners can recommend one of those neoprene hand strap thingy that would allow me to still use my hands while holding onto the torch? (Sorry I do not know of the correct terminology here for this strap) :) Or any other handles for that matter.

Thanks.

Good choice of light. The Oxycheq universal light sock, AKA Goodman handle, fits, it's not great but it does fit. Do a search for the Hollis hand held someone on that thread was using a light sock and given they both run on 3AA I'm assuming diameter is the same. I'll see if I can dig up that thread. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you. Will investigate. Can't wait to test it in the water!

Thank you. Will investigate. Can't wait to test it in the water!

You won't be disappointed its an awesome little light. I own 4 Mb-sub lights including a canister and cannot speak highly enough about them, in fact they are now the only lights I use or would consider using, reliable and very well constructed I only wish they were a little cheaper lol...I'd be interested in your impressions, keep us posted. Cheers.

ps where did you buy yours? Direct from Mb-sub?

buddhasummer, firstly thank you for recommending that light.

I ordered it from Narked at 90 in the UK. I'm in Australia and their price plus shipping is better than getting it from the US. Might also have something to do with exchange rates.

It was a very well constructed light, feels really solid. Took it for a test last weekend in the water and in poor viz (~6m) the concentrated 3 degree mode really punches through the water. I have yet to see another light in a similar price range / category with comparable penetration power in low viz. In wide beam mode it can probably penetrate 1.5m or so which is pretty standard affair.

Have yet to get the strap for it, the AA version have a very short handle and I'm not sure if Oxycheq strap would fit and work well. I'm not too fussed about holding it and having an additional strap around my wrist so I can drop the torch if I need to use my hand. Will keep my eyes open for a proper handle. But I'm happy enough with the light.

Ran a set of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable, 2 dives of around 1 hour run time each. No dimming of output at all, so having 2 sets of AA's would suite my level of diving plus more.

buddhasummer, firstly thank you for recommending that light.

I ordered it from Narked at 90 in the UK. I'm in Australia and their price plus shipping is better than getting it from the US. Might also have something to do with exchange rates.

It was a very well constructed light, feels really solid. Took it for a test last weekend in the water and in poor viz (~6m) the concentrated 3 degree mode really punches through the water. I have yet to see another light in a similar price range / category with comparable penetration power in low viz. In wide beam mode it can probably penetrate 1.5m or so which is pretty standard affair.

Have yet to get the strap for it, the AA version have a very short handle and I'm not sure if Oxycheq strap would fit and work well. I'm not too fussed about holding it and having an additional strap around my wrist so I can drop the torch if I need to use my hand. Will keep my eyes open for a proper handle. But I'm happy enough with the light.

Ran a set of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable, 2 dives of around 1 hour run time each. No dimming of output at all, so having 2 sets of AA's would suite my level of diving plus more.

Glad you like the light. Yep in 3 degree mode it certainly packs a punch, wide mode is awesome if the vis is good. Like I said before for warm water travel diving its, IMO, the perfect light. It will fit the Oxycheq universal light sock but due to the long head and magnetic collar it's not a great fit. I gave up on the light sock and just attached a lanyard. If you buy the C cell battery canister it fits the light sock much better but it is of course much longer. I found the light runs better on alkalines I've had varying levels of success with rechargeables. If you ever need something more powerful take a look at the X1-800.

Periodically take the collar off and give it a clean re lube the ball bearing.

buddhasummer, thanks for the tip.

Silly question. How do you remove the collar? I imagine you are referring to the focus ring? It doesn't seemed to "come off" even if I keep twisting in one direction?

buddhasummer, thanks for the tip.

Silly question. How do you remove the collar? I imagine you are referring to the focus ring? It doesn't seemed to "come off" even if I keep twisting in one direction?

No, I'm referring to the on off collar, just pull it off it won't break. You will after some use need to remove the focus head and re lube the o rings if it gets hard to turn. To do this you will need a flat head screw driver to gently prise the top of the focus ring up just past the first o ring, it's only a few mm, you will then see a small grub screw undo that and it will come apart and you can then inspect, clean and re lube the two o rings. Hope that makes sense, it's pretty easy to do and only takes a few minutes. Just be gentle and don't force anything.

Thanks once again. I'm always paranoid that I'm going to break things when taking stuff apart. Will definitely enjoy the light when I head over to the Philippines later this year!!!!!

Unless you take to it with a hammer and crowbar you'll be fine. Next time I take mine apart ill photograph each step and post. Have fun in the Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom