MCL, ACL and their functions in finning and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 10 years ago (it was my 40th birthday present to myself), I blew out my knees skiing like I did when I was 18. I spent a long time living with my knees sometimes "going out" and I would end in a heap. I had troubles diving when I needed to really apply great force when finning. I could feel my knees sliding around in there. About 2 years ago, I had a pateller bone tendon bone allograph. It was the best surgery ever. I was back diving (carefully after two months). I could load all my gear on my back and hike down trails and over rocks for about 4 months, but I could carry gear down the trails in pieces and put it on with the help of the water. After six months, I could put my gear on and go. It still took time for the mental healing. Living with an unstable knee keeps you very cautious. They say it take a full year for the allograph to be complete. Now, my knee is so much stronger than it ever was. ages

WHAT A RELIEF!!!!

Finally just got the results of my MRI. Good News. It was actually the MCL that is injured.

The good news is that it's what the doc called a second degree "sprain" which does NOT need surgery... just LOTS of Physical Therapy. He showed me the the MRI results and sure enough you can see a small tear.

My ACL and PCL and Miniscus are all O.K.

6 to 8 weeks and I'll be riding my dirtbike again :D

How often are you happy to hear bad news? It could have been really bad news... I start my PT on Monday....

ages once bubbled...
I had a pateller bone tendon bone allograph.

I'm assuming you mean 'autograph' not 'allograph'. allograph is the cadaver tissue, autograph is from your own body. I just wanted to correct as it had me confused for a while, and I couldn't remember which was which.

wheezy once bubbled...
Finally just got the results of my MRI. Good News. It was actually the MCL that is injured.

The good news is that it's what the doc called a second degree "sprain" which does NOT need surgery... just LOTS of Physical Therapy. He showed me the the MRI results and sure enough you can see a small tear.

That's _great_ news!

I got my MRI results last week :( :
1) Complete ACL disruption... (it's gone... nothing in the middle)
2) Class 1 MCL tear
3) Bony injury to either side of the joint
4) Unspecified meniscus injury (I moved during the MRI and they can't be sure)

I'm gonna have it 'scoped on May 1st so I can at least straighten it out. Then the doc is gonna see what rehab can be done. I am trying to convince him that I need the reconstructive surgery.

Either that or I am finding a new doctor. Wheezy, I'm in your lagoon of water.... let me know who is your doctor.

beepbird

beepbird once bubbled...
I'm gonna have it 'scoped on May 1st so I can at least straighten it out. Then the doc is gonna see what rehab can be done. I am trying to convince him that I need the reconstructive surgery.

There shouldn't be any convincing. If you and the doc don't see eye to eye, then start looking for a new doc right away.

My first one I fired immediately. He wanted to scope 'cause he didn't believe the MRIs [he hardly looked at 'em]. He wanted me to remain immobile for another week to come back in.

First question though. Why do you feel you want it reconstructed? Can you live without an ACL? I know quite a few that ski, and race, without an ACL. I'm not meaning to put you on the spot, just making sure you know what you want.

If reconstruction is what you want, because you want an ACL to keep an active lifestyle, then find a doc with an attitude that works with your goals. If he's against you having surgery, he'll probably do it if you insist, but he's not going to be able to give you the advice you need.

There is more to it than just reconstruction. It comes down to allograph or autograph. If autograph, it's now patella tendon or hamstring. You need a doc that understands your goals, and can advise you on each type of procedure and what the risks and benefits of each are in relation to your goal.

g'luck! I was basically the same: complete class III ACL, bone injury on the lateral side, potential medial meniscus problem, and class III MCL.

Surgery was planned arthroscopically, with the potential for open surgery after he scoped the lateral side. The lateral side wasn't in need of repair, so it was all arthroscopy. MCL and meniscus didn't end up needing surgical repair.

Man... I get nauseaus just thinking about it. I wouldn't have the surgery unless it was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY... I race motorcross and had allready decided that I wouldn't do it unless three out of three doctors agreed that was the way to go. Fortunately after two doctors that both said NO WAY, I'm not gonna do anything but LOTS of PT (Pain and Torture).

My doctors are both here in Orange County... One is O.K. through my insurance... The other is one of the best that I paid to see.

If you want names or locations, just send me an email or PM.

wheezy once bubbled...
Man... I get nauseaus just thinking about it. I wouldn't have the surgery unless it was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY...

Yea... the recovery from the surgery is definately slower than recovery from the original injury. The only good part is having a prescription to be stoned for 5 days straight :) Well, that and the thought that it will eventually heal....

The only good part is having a prescription to be stoned for 5 days straight

LOL... too much Spectre :mean:

What would convince me? I used to play 2-3 hours of tennis a week, rollarblade 17 miles on Saturdays, rockclimb, and hike, snow ski and whitewater raft. Shore dive in Laguna (yea, down the steps). I was a dancer and gymnast in college.

I am going stir crazy here hobbling for the last month trying to get in to see the doctors. I am turning into the blob. I can't go down stairs or even turn over in bed without worrying about the pain.

I am getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion from some orthopods at all things an Easter egg hunt this Sunday.

I figure I'm already down, so what's the difference between having to worry about the knee giving out the rest of your life versus pain for the next 4 months and be able to be active once again?

Or am I all wrong about it? Your thoughts?

Lindy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom