MDX-40D and Canon 50D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

efcantillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there an official position from Sea & Sea regarding the Canon 50D and the MDX-40D ?
I just bought a Canon 50D to replace my 10D and want to see if I should go for the MDX-40D or if I should wait for an update on it ?

I know the TTL is different and that it will not work on the housing, but I do not understand if this is an upgrade for the housing or for the external TTL module.

Any light on the matter is highly appreciated.

EF

HI EF-
The official position is that the 50D fits the MDX-40D with no issues whatsoever, so the MDX-40D fits both the 40D and 50D cameras. The converter has not been approved for use with the 50D as of yet, but it is being tested.

I also have a Canon 50D and just got the MDX-40D, YS-110 strobes and the TTL III for Canon. Before I get any of this wet (and can't return it), should I return the TTL III since it doesn't work with the 50D camera? Is there another option with this setup other than the TTL III? I'm leaving on a dive trip in a few weeks and still have time to get another setup for my Canon 50D.
Also-any ETA on teh converter test with the TTL? I can't imagine it would take very long to see if it will work or not.
Thanks,
HL

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to find out if there has been any resolution on using the 50d in auto ttl with the mdx-40d housing? With or without the converter? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Stas

HI Stas-
The Canon TTL converter III has been tested and the 50D is compatible, however, when in continuous shooting mode, 1 shot in 10 does not properly sync. The new Canon YS converter, expected in May should be confirmed compatible.

The 50D does work well in the MDX-40D housing. I've now used it a few times and am very happy with it. The new YS Converter/c is supposed to be 100% compatible with this setup and it should start shipping in May according to the shop I buy my UW camera gear from.

Is the date for the new TTL converter confirmed ?
I am going on a trip on June and would like to see if I can have it on time for my vacations.

HI-
SEA&SEA Japan has still not announced a specific shipping date for the YS Converter/C. Unfortunately, we do not have more information available at this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom