Meet the Adorable Octopus That Can Kill You in Minutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

1679942221367.png

I've always found it interesting that people think these look cute and harmless. The blue rings and stuff instinctively make my skin crawl and positively scream "danger" to me.

baby-blue-ringed-octopus-on-hand-1296x728-header.jpg

shudder

Because of the size, the blue-ringed octopus bite often goes unnoticed. However, the results of envenomation are unique and can be quite terrifying.

Often, the tetrodotoxin poisoning symptoms begin with a numbness / itching around the lips and then the symptoms slowly migrate down the body creating numbness in a slowly moving wave of paralysis. Eventually, the diaphragm is paralyzed and death by respiratory failure occurs.

However, if respiratory support is provided (may be 18 hours or more), the paralysis begins to recede in the opposite direction of the original symptoms until finally ending with numbness around the lips.

This is one of the most deadly creatures in the ocean and bite survival definitely requires medical intervention,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom