• Charleston

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Both Equal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Like Polls

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

recoiljunky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey All,

Where's the best place for Meg teeth hunting; Venice, FL. or Charleston SC.?

I dove the Cooper this past June and did well. The lack of clarity does not bother me.

Venice would be just a little bit closer, but not enough to matter.

My wife will be coming with me, but she doesn't dive. I'll have to find something for her to do while I'm goofing off all day.

We liked Charleston a lot and would not have a problem going back, but I have to wonder if the shark teeth coming out of Venice are as good or better than the Cooper teeth.

It seems like I once heard that the teeth in Venice were a little smaller or less plentiful.

Who has dove both places and what did you think?

Thanks in advance.

I have been diving in both places, and love both. I think they are easier to find in Venice (due to the increased viz), but you you have to be willing to cover some territory to find a large quantity of them. My last trip to Venice (4 dives) produced about 75 Megs... 4 of them over 5"s (slant length) and in great condition and many more in the 3-4" range.

The teeth out of the Cooper seem to be in worse condition and more weathered (probably from the ripping current bouncing them down the river bed) in my opinion. I say try Venice for yourself and see which one you prefer.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking I'll go to Venice in April, take a charter with Florida West one day, and dive off the beach for a couple of days. Maybe spend about 4 days down there total.

I have Venice on my list of sites to dive. I have dove the Cooper dozens upon dozens of times. Looking forward to Venice. Check out "Spear-It" dive charters for offshore NC Megalodon teeth. 90 feet deep. Take a wreck reel and a safety sausage.

U-tube of Offshore NC dive:

YouTube - Megalodon Teeth Diving in Topsail on the Spearit

I am bias to Venice having grew here but I have a freind who dove all areas and venice is the easier dive due to depths and currents. Easier can mean more down time and more time to find teeth :) pics last from last weekend

good hunting its sure is addictive:D

Attachments

• Venice shark tooth 141.jpg
    Venice shark tooth 141.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 162
Thanks for the replys. Those Venice teeth look pretty good!

I'm going to schedule a dive for April in Venice, I guess.

As a diver that has been out on "The Aristakat".
The best advise I could offer you is to book with him.
That pic is the result of a typical dive on Jamie's boat.

He has the sites to visit and the uncanny
ability to drop anchor over the "Sweet Spots".
On one dive with him, My buddy (Scuba Jenny) and I found 14 megs.
One of them measured just shy of 5" (Not mine),
and 5 or six were around 3".

While beach dives can be productive there.
I have seen divers come out with 100's of teeth. (I've seen this many times)
They typically result in higher tooth counts of smaller teeth. (1" & smaller)
Hope that in some way this helps.

PS: I am in no way associated with or have any sort of profitting arising from this post. It is just my comment as a very satisfied return customer.

Last edited:
Recoiljunky....

Please consider diving with us for Giant Megalodon Shark Teeth off the Atlantic East Coast in warm blue gulf stream water.

This will be our 5th dive season recovering prehistoric fossils as much as 20 million years old.

During the last two dive seasons, our divers have recovered a total of 5,964 marketable teeth with an average of one 6"+ tooth coming up daily and each diver keeps everything they find.

I have 54 charters scheduled from June 7 - August 28, 2009.

Currently, about half the spots are spoken for. If you want to forward your email address to me at myscuba@comcast.net, I will send you an informational package and a list of available charters.

In the meantime, one of my customers from Chicago has produced a YouTube video with some of the footage I shot while recovering 88 Megalodon teeth in one dive.

If you want to see the 7 minute video that he produced, please go to MyMegQuest.com and witness some of the fun I have on a daily basis.

Warm regards,
"Sand Tiger" Scott
MyScuba@comcast.net

Poseidon Adventures
3301 Lancaster Pike, Ste 5A
Wilmington, DE 19805
302-887-9186 - Office
302-299-0416 - Cell

MyMegQuest.com (YouTube Video showing my recovery of giant prehistoric Megalodon Shark teeth)
MyMegTeeth.com (Rare Fossilized Monster Shark Teeth on Our Website)
MyMegalodon.com (Rare Fossilized Monster Shark Teeth on eBay)

Hmmm, a tough one for me.

I haven't been to Charleston.
I dive Venice beach often. And, I have about 65 Megs. The largest is about 6.2 inches (found from the beach, in good to excellent condition)

I've been out of VB on a boat for a single dive trip with Aristakat. That time the Jelly fish were out, and we were all subject to Sea Nettle (common during the summer months in the Gulf... I in no way blame Jamie for that... Heck, he even attempted to get us in closer to shore to avoid it when we told him about the Nettle). I still came up with the largest Mako and chocolate sand tiger teeth I've ever come across diving from the beach!

I make between 75 and 100 dives a year from the beach. But, dives from the boats take me on top of the mother loads, and are definitely worth it... Jamie (Aristakat) goes the extra mile and gives you the local porpoise treatment. There is a porpoise in the channel that will come right up to the boat and pose for pictures...

That, and the local in town shops and local bazaars will keep your significant other happy... It's worth the drive down and time... Heck, schedule it around one of the ScubaBoard events, and everyone will be happy, diver and non-diver alike!

Back
Top Bottom