Megalodon teeth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am intrigued - there are quite a few of you who have reported finding Megalodon teeth on a dive. Under what kind of conditions, and where do you find them?

Also, how big are these teeth? It's my understanding that they've found Great White Shark teeth as big as 3", how do Megalodon teeth compare?

On a different tack, has anyone ever found spiraltooth shark teeth? Most likely embedded into stone as part of the fossil record.

Megalodon teeth are found mostly on the mid-Atlantic states. Some are found on black water (brackish river water, black from tanin) in near zero visablity. You dive up to as deep as 40ft. You dig a screwdriver in the ground to hold your possition from the rushing river currents, and feel around for them. People find all kinds of things. Mastadon bones, acient indian artifacts...alligators....it takes a special breed.
They also hunt for them off the coast in about 80-100fsw. Some locations are better than others, and only a hand full of dive shops know where to go. Call before you go.
And the size can be huge. Average about 3-4 inches. They can get up to the size of your hand all the way to your wrist. That would fetch an easy grand, depending on condition.

Best of luck.

the spiral tooth shark (helicorprion) is extremely rare and you will not find them diving, but in land diposits in the mid US and some other contries. I would not count on finding one. Those teeth are so rare that i've never even see one for sale.

My wife found a small Megalodon tooth yesterday at Venice. 15 to 20 ft of water
It was about 2 inches. We found a small piece of one that would be about 4 inches.
And about 800 smaller teeth over 3 dives.

Be careful if you're going tooth hunting, it's addictive.

I found a couple in Cooper River, in Charleston, SC. The operator that I was with bought the big one from me, it was just a bit bigger than my palm. I don't know about other sites, but cooper river is generally 1-2 foot vis and you just stick to the bottom and look with your hands.

Went tooth hunting today with my daughter. My 6th trip, her first. Last year my son pulled up a 6 inch tooth that must weigh a pound and a half. Today we went with a few friends and only bagged a couple of medium sized meg teeth. Mostly smaller teeth, lots of them. The group did find a nice horse tooth, an ancient puffer fish jawbone and one whale inner ear bone. The depth at Venice averaged about 22-26 feet and the water temp was high 80's. Visiblity was probably about 12 feet. Flat calm, no current. West Florida Scuba runs a nice dive and Steve is a retired geologist. He can throw the trash you pick up over the side faster than a speeding bullet, but he can also tell you a complete history with dates on just about anything else you find. Very educational, great day and most of all... YOU GET TO KEEP WHATEVER YOU FIND!! Better than diving a protected sterilized shipwreck. It is addictive.

I was diving the Cooper River in S. Carolina and bringing up 5 gallon buckets full, I have sold most of mine or traded dive shops for gear in the past years but I still have great memories of some fantastic treasures!

Back
Top Bottom