Membrane drysuit or Neoprene drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI everyone, I am looking at moving to the world of dry diving, been looking at some different suits, and not really sure if i should go Membrane suit or Neoprene? I am a big guy (6'2" 265lbs) any sugestions would be appreciated, and why choose one over the other?

Blake,

I have dove both types of suits and recommend you do the same at your LDS prior to any purchase, since it is quite an investment. I personally prefer crushed neoprene since it has the characteristics of a wet suit and with the proper under garments is warmer. I dive the Diving Concepts 2mm Crushed Neoprene Suit and love it, 4mm if you live in the arctic. Keep in mind that the crushed neoprene suit will be heavier when exiting the water, but I have never noticed a big difference, it is all in who you talk to. Like I said originally, go to your LDS and test dive both with an instructor if you are not certified to see which suit is best for you since they both have a different feel.

Mark

Be advised, there are significant differences between "crushed neoprene" and "neoprene" (which the OP specified) drysuits.

Obviously both of these differ from "trilaminate" (membrane) drysuits.

As the OP did not specify "crushed" neoprene...not sure whether an assumption that that's what Blade was referring to is correct or not...

[Blake, perhaps you can help us out. Open-cell neoprene drysuits compress at depth (resulting in varying weight requirements and other issues). Crushed neoprene drysuits do not compress at depth. There are a few other differences as well. Did you have one or the other in mind when you wrote your opening post?]

Doc

If you travel, a neoprene suit will get really heavy especially when wet. This was the deciding factor for me.

Trilam/membrane suits are lighter but a little less rugged (but still pretty good). They also dry extremely quickly, although any suit will have at least some slow-drying parts like boots, pockets, and padding.

Something else to keep in mind is in a compressed neoprene dry suit you will have to carry a bit more weight, that is a problem that I am fighting with right now. It sucks. A trilam suit will require much less weight. and you will not have the boyancy swing issues like you do with a wet suit.

It's great advice to try both before buying. I did and settled on reg 7mm neoprene due to comfort. I didn't like the feel of the membrane suits - felt like a big bag over me. The neoprene was a snugger fit and I felt the air didn't move around as easily within the suit and it is also warmer and I like to wear as little undergarment as possible.

For me, being comfortable under water was the primary concern, and all the issues of going with neoprene (ie more weight) are easy to adjust to if you are warm and comfy.

So, yes, try both - in your hands, you may prefer the membrane - no right or wrong here - personal preference.

I have used both neoprene and trilam suits extensively and there are pros and cons.

neoprene suits:

In the distant past, neoprene suits were failry baggy and had chest mounted inlet and dump valves. It took a lot of weight to sink them. However currently available neoprene suits are cut with a much snugger fit and if you get one, get it with the idea of wearing relatively light undergarments underneath. No need for really bulky weezle or thinsulate underwear - just a medium weight poly fleece will be fine. In that case the weight requirements for a neoprene suit are no greater than with a trilam with heavier underwear, but comparable warmth compared to a 7mm or 7mm/5mm neoprene suit with lighter underwear.

In my case, my weight requirements did not vary by more than a couple pounds with either a trilam or a neoprene suit when dressed for 35-40 degree water dives.

In really cold water I prefer a neoprene suit even with the lighter undergarments it feels warmer and kept me warmer. The old DUI propoganda was that neoprene suits cmpressed at depth and were colder than a membrane suit where all the insulation was in the under garment. I never found that to be the case in 35 degree water to depths of 150'.

I noted that condensation was not an issue in a neoprene suit as it can be in a trilam. I also noted that the neoprene suit was more comfortable when operated with minimal air as the "squeeze" never had the same biting quality it had in a trilam. Finally, the neoprene suit swam virtually liek a wet suit with no issues with shifting gas. You could go straight head down with no feeling of air migrating to your feet. Neoprene suits tend to be much more streamlined and have a lot less drag than a trilam in the water due to the slimmer cut. The slimmer cut also allows a full range of motion due to the stretch in the fabric. If a neoprene suit leaks, it becomes a very efficient semi-dry wet suit, while a wet trilam is just plain cold.

The downsides are that the neoprene suit is heavy, even heavier when wet, and leaks if they occur are be harder to find and repair. Zipper options are limited to across the back entry and the suit probably won't last as long - 400 or so dives. But on the other hand, you can get one new for $500-$600, 1/3rd the cost of a new trilam suit. Finally, they are not well suited to warm water as they are at their coolest still warmer than a 7mm wet suit.

Trilams:

Trilams are more or less the standard as they offer a good compromise. They are lightweight fairly durable, dry fast and are easy to repair when they leak - and they do tend to leak more due to more stress on the seams, thinner fabric more prone to getting pinched and holed, etc.

Trilams last longer but cost more, so in the end it is a wash on a cost per dive basis. Self entry modeles are available but with diagonal across the torso zippers you need a longer torso which adds to the baggy and draggy factor. The exception here is the Andy's/Whites shoulder to shoulder front zipper which allows self entry with no need for an extended torso. And, as it is just a non insulated shell suit, you can wear one in fairly warm water and not have a heat stroke.

All that said, I switched to a White's Fusion last year and in my opinion it is the best suit available. It allows the comfort and swimability of a neoprene suit with the light weight of a trilam at about 3/4 the cost of a trilam suit. It would be my choice in all but near freezing water.

I had a long post half typed out, but DAA beat me to it. All I'll add is that I have a Fusion, and when I can't dive mine, I dive my husband's in preference to either of my other suits (trilam and compressed neo).

thanks to everyone so far with their replies

There are many threads on scubaboard debating neoprene vs trilam drysuits. I was shopping for a new suit recently so I read them all. Now's as good a time as any to add my two cents.

Like many divers who have been in the sport for a number of years I've bought my share of gear I wished I hadn't. My drysuit history is a progression of improvements. Not surprisingly, it's also an increasing progression of price.

I've owned three drysuits over the last ten years, in this order:

1. Mobby's Amour Shell (courdoura shell over trilaminate)
2. Mobby's 4 mm compressed neoprene
3. DUI CF200x crushed neoprene
All were used for Monterey diving (47 - 53 F)

I've never owned a standard 7mm neoprene (non-compressed) suit so I can't comment on this type.

The Amour Shell, which I purchased used, was extremely UNcomfortable. The concept behind the suit was similar to the White's Fusion - baggy trilam surrounded by a more streamlined protective cover. All the trilam folds hidden by the shell made donning frustrating. Once underwater the saran-wrap effect of all the inflexible folds made swimming difficult. I'm sure the Fusion is an improvement over the Amour Shell though. I checked it out at DEMA last year but flashbacks steered me away.

The 4mm "compressed" neoprene suit was a big improvement in comfort over the trilam. The suit was streamlined, flexible and there was no trilam saran-wrap effect. The downside was that it possessed some inherent buoyancy and warmth at the surface. This meant I needed to carry more weight on my belt. After a couple dives I hung my heavier DC Thinsulate undergarments in the closet and dove a single layer USIA fleece garment instead. The suit would compress at depth and I would get cold. Additionally, the suit had tall rubber boots that tended to collect air. I needed ankle weights to maintain a semblance of trim. I did enjoy the comfortable neoprene seals though. I never needed to replace them the entire eight years dove the suit. My wife/dive buddy replaced her latex seals three times within that period. This suit began to leak at the seams last year. I decided not to repair it.

My current suit is a DUI CF200 crushed neoprene suit. It arrived less than two weeks ago so I've only been able to dive it one weekend. This suit is again a tremendous improvement over its predecessor. I dusted off my eight year old DC undergarments, added a stretch fleece underlayer, ditched my ankle weights and somehow ended up trimmed perfectly on my first try using the same weight I carried while wearing my old suit (I wear an SS BP/W with camband weight and a weighted STA so I don't wear much my on my belt). My buoyancy in the CF200 is as good as it is in the tropics wearing a 3mm wetsuit. In the past while wearing a drysuit I spent a lot of time trying to properly weight myself by dumping and/or shifting weight. I was never successful to my satisfaction until I moved to the CF200 suit. I've never been so warm either.

The neoprene suits do take 1 to 2 days to dry though. I don't find this much of an issue. I notice that the last parts of my CF200 suit to dry are the courdura pockets installed on the legs by DUI. These are the same pockets that many install on trilam suits so I'd estimate the time from rinse to storage/packing would be similar for either a pocketed neo or trilam suit. Using a HangAir suit drier helps remove moisture from the inside.

For what its worth - I have rented a CLX450 trilam and I liked it. If I thought I was going to be traveling with my suit by plane much I might have opted for a light weight trilam suit like the TLS350. For local cold water diving + one or less cold water trips a year I prefer the flexibility and streamlined cut that the stretchy crushed neoprene allows.

-Brad

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom