Memorable Unique tips you picked up only on Scubaboard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Some wise diver suggested I could anticipate powerful downdrafts when diving along walls by watching the marine life ahead. Fern direction, fish, etc. ...Love stuff like that! :yelclap:

does anything stand out in your mind, that has been a practical smart tip not found in a book or a class?

EMT shears. Don't leave home without them.

Shore Diving:

Fill a garden sprayer with water to use as a portable shower. It gets nice and hot on warm days, too.

2" PVC makes a great custom rack to keep your tanks from rolling in the back of your SUV, Car, Pickup (for you Texas folks). Just measure, cut and glue. Keeps groceries from moving around, too.

I use an old tuperware "cake holder?" (I don't know what they call it, really) filled with water for soaking my camera after a dive. Pop the lid on and the agitation of the drive home helps get out the salt...and Southern California toxic waste!:D

One not in the books: It is better for U/W photo-gers to dive solo than to dive with a hunter!!

catherine96821, I learned during a trip to Molokini in 2005 that when the fish head into the reef, it means there is a Great White shark nearby!!!:11:

Maui in 30 days!!!!! 4 Molokini trips planned, Hawaiian French Toast at the 5 Palms!!!

Best to you all,

Jon

When diving in sensitive places I like to pick up a small shell, then use that to prevent touching things directly.

Forgot to mention....use a NEW garden sprayer. Not one used to kill ants or feed your lawn!!!!

Home Depot, OSH, etc...

When shaving, shave in direction of hair, not against it to avoid a bad case of the red bumps.

I learned that saying certain things will get your posts edited.

Soaking dry suit exhaust valves in water and then in very dilute Ivory soap -- thanks to the USIA guy.

Buying Chuck Taylors to make my Jets fit when I wear my wetsuit.

X-shorts.

jonnythan's tip to initiate ascents by breathing in until you start to move up, then breathing out and seeing if you stop, and if not, VENT. This was the beginning of my slow approach to competent ascent procedures.

Using baby shampoo to keep my mask nice and fog-free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom